Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Osx lion freeze when time machine run while come back from sleep

Osx lion freeze when time machine run while come back from sleep. please help. only fix i found was disabled time machine

Macbook Pro (Late 2010) 15" 2.66 8g, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 9:13 PM

18 replies

Aug 23, 2011 2:52 PM in response to JohninNJ

Try this from another thread:

The problem resurfaced again! 🙂 I think my Seagate drive that I use for my Time Machine is causing the problem. See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191631?start=0&tstart=0

What I did was go to system/library/extensions and delete the SeagateStorageDriver.kext

When I ran the kextstat in terminal, the seagate references were gone after deleting the above kext.

I hope this resolves this issue. If it doesn't I will post back.

Nov 17, 2011 10:20 AM in response to alexbolduc

same for me. i thought it was my browser because that's when i seemed to freeze. i thought it was my requiring a password when waking up from sleep. unchecked the graphic card. i've been messing with this for months now. i just noticed the time machine is always spinning because i always worry that my external will not handle the hard shut down. i googled it an found this and other apple threads and this mentions other things not just time machine due to anything that is heavy access to the disk, mobile me also...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1204593. turning off time machine today and see if that fixes it.

Nov 20, 2011 2:17 PM in response to Hemmer.Felix

same for me 🙂 i went ahead and checked my "require password upon wake" and the graphic choice on the energy saver to see if it was only time machine causing my sleep/wake issue. not sure on that as the other thread indicates those having that issue don't have time machine. however that link i referenced on the other thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1204593 , mentioned not just time machine but mobile me...other things can cause the freeze. so clearly we need an updated from apple.

Nov 21, 2011 3:12 PM in response to alexbolduc

I believe I am having the same problem that could be fixed with the powered USB, but let me lay it out and see if you all can help.

My macbook pro (15 in, 2011) locks up typically after leaving it alone for a while, though the computer is not actually asleep because it is plugged in. This only occurs when my Time Machine drive is plugged in, and I always find the Time Machine arrow spinning in the menu bar every time it locks up. The computer does not freeze completely when I find it this way, however. I am able to move the mouse and open menus with right click, but if I attempt to force close Chrome (browser) or restart Finder (both of which tell me need to be force closed/relaunched every time the computer freezes in this manner), the computer will freeze entirely and require a restart.

This behavior ONLY occurs when plugged in at home to time machine. It happens at least once a day, I have replaced my Time Machine drive and reinstalled Lion entirely to no effect. Since Chrome is always requiring a force close, I thought it might be interfering with TM, but I doubt it. I have gone in to the Apple store and they say the machine looks fine, and I have run the verify tool on the drive and it is fine. I am almost positive it is a Time Machine issue, but not on the external drive side of things.

Now, assuming any of you are still checking in on this, any ideas? Does what I just explaied sound similar? I have a WD Mybook drive that connects with USB and has an AC adapter, how would I attempt to fix this issue using your powered USB port ideas? Thanks ahead of time, and sorry for being long winded.

Nov 21, 2011 9:37 PM in response to DerekWM

this is what happened to me. exactly. the movement of the mouse and the freeze during force quit of a browser wether safari, chrome or firefox. i have turned off time machine automatic backups. i have a WD 1T external and it has it's own power plug in. i now manually backup with time machine to the same WD an all works now. no freeze for the last 4 or so days. i work an 8 hour job in the tech dept. so i have my computer on all day. i work with CS5, webpage design and state submissions. so it sorta defeats the issue for time machine to run every hour but the automatic backup seems to be the issue. i have played with ejecting the external when not in use or leaving it mounted on the desktop. i don't see a difference on that. it is the automatic... i also had issues on wake up but time machine may have caused that OR the fact that i required a password or the grahics card setting in the Energy Saving Setting. however i have checked those again and still haven't frozen on wakeup now that i have time machine automatic off.

now the superintendant has a usb WD and he had freeze issues also but not near as many as me. probably more like twice a week compared to my 1 to 2 times everyday. i started to think it was microsoft (2011) since he and i both had that before i found this thread on time machine. but i must have beenn time machine even though he has a usb external. his were never as bad as mine and i think that was because he doesn't always have the usb hooked up, like i had my powered external.

the asst. superintendant and the director of special ed had it happen only once on the wake up screen. one has time machine backups on the other didn't. the only difference there was the one who didn't have time machine, we had the screen require a password. so im not so exact on these examples.

my expieriences exactly match yours. so if you turn off the automatic, i would bet you won't have freezes and you will still be able to do manual backups. if you find that automatic updates works ok with the USB external i'd like to know.

and then the link i posted before mentioned anything accessing the heavy disk I/O e.g. mobileme. so don't know if that applies or not at anytime.

Time Machine is apples product so you'd think they'll correct this sometime?

Nov 22, 2011 8:03 AM in response to MiB4

I would hope that they would correct this, but it also appears as though we are in the minority of users having these problems. My question is, what is the cause of this. Not all users are having this glitch, which means it is not a universal probelm with Lion or our external drives. I have read a lot of ideas like our processers are bad, or the hard drive has an error, but as I said before I have gone to the Apple store and they ran full diagnostics with no negative results.

I will probably call Apply this week sometime and see if they can find an answer with this new information, but in the mean time I think you have a smart idea by turning off automatic backups. That no doubt will fix the issue for now, but that is a silly fix to have to make since it defeats some of the purpose of Time Machine.

Thanks for responding, I am really glad to know that I am not the only one!

Nov 22, 2011 10:47 AM in response to DerekWM

i have a 4 year warranty on mine so i'm just waiting to see what happens before sending it in to see, watching these threads. time machine is their idea so you'd think it would work. i'll be curious what they say. another thread on freezes is here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3232200?start=90&tstart=0 in case you haen't seen that one. so maybe/hopefully we aren't minority as we think? not sure. i may also try to talk with our apple rep.

Osx lion freeze when time machine run while come back from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.