Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used apple remote app interferes with IR on tv?

Last night I used the remote app on an iphone for the first time with an apple TV (recent purchase).

Now the regular TV remotes won't work with the TV. The remotes themselves are fine - they work with our other TV. But there is no response from the TV when I try to use the remote. I tried resetting the TV, but can't without a remote!

I'm not technical, so bear with my terminology - but I read that the IR from the apple remote app can cause interference?

The regular apple remote (the one that came with the apple TV) never caused a problem.

It only started when I used the remote app with a new iPhone4.

Appreciate any info. I have searched for a similar problem but haven't found it.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 3:43 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

For the avoidance of doubt which appliance and remote do not work, you said your TV but I'm wondering if you mean your Apple TV.

The remote App uses wifi to control the Apple TV so it cannot cause interference with IR despite what you might have read.

8 replies

Aug 19, 2011 7:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

hi - let's see -

The apple TV works - but our regular TV (sony bravia) no longer responds to any remote.

I read two different bits of infomation - one said that no interference can occur because apple remote uses wifi.

However the Apple site said to use your apple remote and other remotes separately becuase of IR interference.

So....I'm still a bit confused.

Aug 19, 2011 8:03 AM in response to sayhimikey

from the web --

"About the Apple Remote

The Apple Remote operates on an infrared (IR)-based transmitter. If it has an unobstructed line-of-sight to the receiver, the Apple Remote can function at distances of up to 30 feet (about 9 meters)."

Also - maybe I wasn't clear about this - we've used the apple remote that came with apple TV just fine for several months.

The TV stopped responding to a remote as soon as we used the remote app with iphone - which I also believe has IR capability.

Hope that's more clear.

Aug 20, 2011 3:28 PM in response to Winston Churchill

OK - I'll try that.

I have one question for clarification - just bear with me as I learn about this.

I understand the remote app uses wifi -- but what about the actual iPhone - doesn't it use infrared to send the signal to the actual apple TV box?

People write about having a clear shot between the remote (whatever you're using the original remote or the iphone) and the apple tv black box or it doesn't work.

Thanks for the info!

Aug 20, 2011 3:51 PM in response to sayhimikey

The remote app sends it's instructions to the Apple TV using wifi to your network the signal is routed by the router to the Apple TV, there is no IR. Any easier way than turning off the router to test this is to go into another room where there is no clear line of site from your phone to the Apple TV and you'll see the remote app still works with the Apple TV.

Aug 24, 2011 3:46 PM in response to sayhimikey

Hi mikey,

You mentioned not being that technical so here are a few tips that might help you along. You're likely aware of most of this but here's to erring on the side of caution.

Most television remotes these days are universal/multimode remotes. For example my LG TV remote has four buttons at the top (TV, DVD, STB and VCR) which set the current mode of the remote. This allows the same buttons to be used with different devices without interfering with each other, essentially making sure when you hit the PLAY button it starts playing the DVD and not the VCR.

First thought. The remote is not in 'TV' mode. Locate a "TV" button on the remote and press it, then try the Power, Volume and Channel buttons to see if the problem is fixed.

Not that? If the remote is in the TV mode and still not working it may be the code for the TV function was changed or lost on the remote. The remote would need to be reprogrammed with the correct code for your TV. Codes can be found in the manual that came with the remote (may be a part of the TV manual). Failing that, contact the manufacturer of the remote, no greater authority on the matter.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that something is broken. Could be the receiver 'eye' (or some other component) on the TV shorted out, or possibly just something sitting in front of the TV that is blocking the signal from the remote.

Hope this helps you recover control over your TV.

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2011 4:53 PM in response to snowdaddy

Hi - thanks for the reply - I did make sure that "tv" was selected - I'm guessing it's the IR sensor in the TV because NO remotes work with the TV in question - but those same remotes work fine with our other Sony TV. In my limited ability to troubleshoot I'm thinking it's the TV.

I was in touch with Sony tech support via email. I was hoping to reset the TV but you can't do that without a remote - it seems you should be able to do a hard "reset" of your TV without a remote but it's not the case.

I am going to email them again re: the remote - but my memory is that was a dead end also.

Just a very odd coincidence that the remote stopped working the exact night I used the remote app for the first time but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

I need to try what the other responder said about using the remote app away from the apple TV box - I misread his suggestion the first time and tried it with the regular apple remote and of course it didn't work - duh on my part.

Appreciate the time and answers!

I used apple remote app interferes with IR on tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.