Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Studio menu problem

Hi Guys,

I have seen lots of questions all over the net about this issue with no definitive answer as yet. I have always accepted slightly soft or pixellated menu images and text when creating in DVD studio pro but I now have a client breathing down my neck demanding sharp text and overlay images. I have tried .psd files, creating text over tiff, jpeg and png bckgrounds at 300dpi and creating loopable video in FCP to import as a menu background. Nothing works. There is always some element of the menu, usually text added within DVD Studio, that looks bad in normal state and especially bad when in selected state.

Please help. I just want crisp menu pages!

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 2:03 AM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2011 8:19 AM in response to Billycam2001

DVDs have extremely limited levels of anti-alasing. Only two levels. This means that anything with a curve (i.e., text) is going to look very pixelated. The solution is to never use text as your highlight. Period. Go grab 10 "Hollywood" movies on DVD, any ten. I will bet you that none of them use text as the highlight. They will all use an underline or some sort of simple graphic next to the text to indicate a button. This is because of the extermely limited levels of anti-alasing in DVDs. So your solution is create your menus the same way they do on "Hollywood" DVDs.

DVD Studio menu problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.