Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest networking not getting Internet Connection

I have confirgured my new extreme over and over again trying to get this sorted out. I can have two seperate networks one on 2.4 and another on 5.0 but I can't seem to get the actual guest networking feature to work. I can configure the guest network and it appears to the clients but once connected to it and fire up safari no internet conection......server can not be found. I've messed with the DHCP setting of the guest network, and still no dice.

Any help would be greatly apperciated

Airport Extreme 5th Gen-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 9:27 AM

10 replies

Aug 19, 2011 10:31 AM in response to sdgros01

In order for the Guest Network feature to work correctly on an AirPort Extreme, the device must be connected to a simple modem....not a gateway device supplied by most service providers that combines a modem and router in one box.

Can you provide the make and model number of your "modem"? Once we have that info, we should be able to tell you whether a Guest Network configuration on your AirPort Extreme is possible.

Aug 19, 2011 10:15 PM in response to sdgros01

Thanks for the info. This appears to be a simple modem, so the Guest Network feature should work if the AirPort Extreme is configured correctly.

For the Guest Network, it is best to leave the setup in the default settings, except for assigning a name to the network and password. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you have "messed" with the settings.

I would suggest that your perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Extreme and reconfigure the device again, this time leaving the default DHCP settings in place for the Guest Network.

Guest networking not getting Internet Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.