Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BSOD - fresh install - Apple you're not really doing this, r u ?

Bootcamp -> Win7 Ultimate, MSDN Version - BSOD near loader startup

See also

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3232804

Early BSOD, but slightly different senario:

( I called Apple Support and asked about this too - gist of rather unsatisfactory reply included. )

New Macbook Pro, 2~ gHz, quad core i7, 8 Gb mem. 500 GB hd. Came with Lion pre-installed.

Nothing new installed (other than Xcode).

So really a fresh-out-of-the box attempt w/ bootcamp.

Followed bootcamp directions to the letter.

Checked for updates - none.

Created the driver/helper CD.

Partitioned Mac/Bootcamp-fat32 (just split dirve in half).

Booted to Win7 install DVD (triggered from bootcamp step).

... Win loads files,

... Win splash screen shows, then *bomb*

BSOD stop = 0x000000F4

(ugh, an error code that's too generic to be useful !)

The only thing that I can think of that's "different" here is that I am attempting to use a valid & licensed copy of Win7 Ultimate MSDN version.

Apple support told me: "only the retail version (of win7) is allowed"

So I asked, " do you all consider the MSDN version to be a (disallowed) OEM version?"

Supprot: "we have been told that only the retail version is allowed."

Me: "Ok, have you heard that the MSDN version is considered a NON-retail version?"

Support: "I don't know for sure, but I'd say yes."

Me: "So if it's a dis-allowed version, do you inform the user by having the BIOS trigger a blue screen during the attempted install?"

Apple Support: "Yes."

Me: "Ouch - so what should I do as many other programmers must be in this same situation?" (I can't believe this is true!)

Support: "Post a message on the support forums, which the Apple engineers read, so that they can see if something can be done about it."

Me: "Yum, OK"

And, so Dear Apple, *Please take Note*

... why should I have to pay for Win7 twice (e.g. MSDN + Retail version just for you.) I understand and agree with why OEM versions are not allowed. And I also agree that you can't support windows stuff. But disallowing MSDN versions makes no sense as under the (Microsoft) terms of service, we are not permitted to sell or distribute the MSDN version of (any) MSDN-released Windows OS. What makes even less sense, and is pretty ugly, is to inform the user that the windows version is unsupported by having the BIOS trigger a blue screen. If the (Apple) BIOS can spot this during the install, then why can't you simply have bootcamp assitant scan the Win7 install DVD for unsupported versions before launching it ?

thank you

- H

MacBook Pro, Win7 Lion Bootcamp BSOD Blue Screen

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 11:24 AM

Half the Geniuses could qualify for a dunce hat when it came to questions about Windows.

MSDN are totally fine of course and 100% legit. Apple Disk Utility though is not and has had trouble burnning ISO's. Apparently the new Boot Camp Assistant now features the abilty to burn ISO properly, use it instead. Disk Utiity otherwise you have to slow it to reduced slowest burn speed if it is to work.

I buy System Builder / OEM

If you weren't being serious I'd have thought it was a comic skit and laugh, because it is hard to take them seriously with just a script.

My advice is keep a bowl of salt handy, throw some over right shoulder, take your shots with grain of salt also.

Bottom line tip: you may need to reburn the ISO is all, or write to UsB flash drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2011 11:24 AM in response to HowardJaxMug

Half the Geniuses could qualify for a dunce hat when it came to questions about Windows.

MSDN are totally fine of course and 100% legit. Apple Disk Utility though is not and has had trouble burnning ISO's. Apparently the new Boot Camp Assistant now features the abilty to burn ISO properly, use it instead. Disk Utiity otherwise you have to slow it to reduced slowest burn speed if it is to work.

I buy System Builder / OEM

If you weren't being serious I'd have thought it was a comic skit and laugh, because it is hard to take them seriously with just a script.

My advice is keep a bowl of salt handy, throw some over right shoulder, take your shots with grain of salt also.

Bottom line tip: you may need to reburn the ISO is all, or write to UsB flash drive.

Aug 22, 2011 2:45 PM in response to The hatter

* ARRRGGG ! *

Thanks, Hatter ... indeed this would be funny, if the punch line were "It Just Works - NOT !"

I guess they can't just say "oh, it's the Disk Utility that's having issues" ?

BTW, if the boot camp assistant has an ISO burner, I'm not finding it after repeated hunts. Also tried slowing down the burner, getting another burner app (and running it slow).

Do you know if the CRC-32 checksum checker (in the disk utl) is reliable ? All of the burn attempts above yield the same CRC ... and / but the ISO has a different one! (Now I am wondering if I have gotten a bum DVD drive.)

Maybe have to go over to the dark sides of Linux and Windows to burn the ISO from one of my other machines to see...

That a new $2,500 + MBP would have such issues is mildly pathetic. Very pathetic when customer Haze-Support is added to the mix.

- H

BSOD - fresh install - Apple you're not really doing this, r u ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.