Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I back up my address book?

I need to back up my address book onto a hard drive or memory stick. I looked up the instructions on an earlier version of iworks and the option back up address book under the drop down menu FILES doesn't exist (neither does it exist for calender, this is not a biggy since it automatically saves itself into my ipod). So how do I back up my addresses?

Any hints would be appreciated, particularly if they are explanations for dummies 😕 ...!

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 12:16 PM

You need to backup the /Home/Library/Applications Support/AddressBook/ folder in its entirety. You also need to backup two preference files in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder:

com.apple.addressbook.plist.

com.apple.addressbook.adb.plist

Or, you can set up a backup drive and do regular backups of your Home folder or, preferably, the entire startup drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2011 12:16 PM in response to ravenowl

You need to backup the /Home/Library/Applications Support/AddressBook/ folder in its entirety. You also need to backup two preference files in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder:

com.apple.addressbook.plist.

com.apple.addressbook.adb.plist

Or, you can set up a backup drive and do regular backups of your Home folder or, preferably, the entire startup drive.

Aug 20, 2011 5:57 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the info, that is as far as I've got, but how exactly do I do that? I understand that I have to backup several folders, not just the addresses but I'm not clear what steps to take. That's what I meant with 'explanation for dummies'. I'm not completely illeterate when it comes to computers but the finesse of knowing how to do this kind of thing still eludes me, sorry! 🙂

Aug 20, 2011 1:38 PM in response to ravenowl

Do you have a backup hard drive? If not, then you need to get one. It should be larger than your computer's hard drive capacity. You can purchase something like this. Then all you need to start is to clone your computer's hard drive to the backup drive:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Thereafter, you can incrementally update the backup drive using a backup utility like one of these:

Others may be found at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

In the meanwhile for your Address Book you would drag the folder and files I mentioned in the earlier post to whatever media you are going to use for backup. This will copy them to the backup device. If you don't have a backup drive then you could use a USB flash drive or burn the files to a CD or DVD. Note that CDs and DVDs can only be used once because they are read-only once you put data on them.

how do I back up my address book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.