Skip navigation

How much for an SSD upgrade to my iMac?

2395 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 2:10 PM by Doug_S RSS
Doug_S Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 19, 2011 1:09 PM

When my iMac was first released there was an option to get a 1 TB HDD with a 256 GB SSD. My iMac is fast, but I know it could be a lot snappier if I added an SSD to the mix. I looked around and it looked either extremely difficult to borderline impossible to upgrade it myself so I was wondering how much it would cost Apple to do it, if anyone has any idea?

I'm debating getting it done as my display has a few dead pixels just off-center. The plan would be I'd take it in for the screen to be replaced (warranty!) and while they're in there have them drop in the new drive.

Thoughts?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac11,3
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,195 points)
    Aug 19, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to Doug_S)

Unless policies have changed very recently, an Apple Store will not perform an upgrade to a SSD. You'll probably have to look to an authorized Apple service center to do the work, and it will be up to that service center what they'll charge. A service center may offer to do the installation for a reduced charge if you purchase the SSD from them. You'll have to shop around, though.

Regards.

• samberl Level 4 Level 4 (1,910 points)
    Aug 19, 2011 1:43 PM (in response to Doug_S)

Have a look at th OWC website (www.macsales.com).

OWC provides this service without voiding your warranty.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.