Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Upgrade

I have a late 2008 MacBook (aluminium, 13") with Intel C2D 2 GHz processor, 2 GB (2 x 1GB) 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory and 160 GB Toshiba Hard Disk {all original configuration}. The Apple guys refer to this model number of MacBooks as 5,1. I want to upgrade memory to 4 GB and the hard disk to at least 320 GB. Regardless of the cost I want to find out what is best possible memory and hard disk upgrade that I can have?

Appreciate all help, guidance and responses.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 1:22 PM

Visit OWC where you can purchase the RAM you want, hard drives, enclosure for the old drive, and video tutorials.

6 replies

Aug 20, 2011 6:11 AM in response to hernie55

hi there,

i own that exact macbook,

i've read that it can run up to 8 gb of ram without problems and an SSD would be the best option for an hd upgrade.

i was looking after that, but i didn't understand which kind of SATA compliance would be more appropriate.

also i wonder if the 2.0 ghz processor would become a bottleneck after those upgrades.

thanks for any answer

Nov 15, 2012 9:35 AM in response to Wicky

Maximum Memory8.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

SATA II - 3.0 Gb/s interface controller.

The CPU speed is adequate. The GPU is a 9400M that has been problematic in some models. This was due to a faulty batch of chips from Nvidia. Apple had a replacement program: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues.

Jan 3, 2014 6:09 AM in response to hernie55

I upgraded my 2009 MBP with a 256GB Samsung SSD and I cannot begin to describe the impact. It was like getting a new computer. I doubled the RAM - to 8GB - a few months later and that gave it another boost. Just to give you an idea - I have a top end 2013 iMac with a Fusion drive and my MBP doesn't feel slow in comparison - it would have before the upgrades. Your 2008 isn't that much different from mine so you should feel a similar impact with a lot less impact to the wallet.

BTW at the shop where I work part time the three favorite drives among the techs are Samsung (for the price and quality) with Crucial and OWC tied (for speed and quality).

Mac Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.