Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

user@server.example.com vs. user@example.com

I've installed lion server and all services including DNS are working, pointing to server.example.com. In mail, the domain is @example.com.

when installing the services on clients, (I select "mac os x server" and not caldav, etc) everything is configured for user@example.com. However:

- mail does not work (I have to change the income server from example.com to server.example.com) but then works with user@example.com

- ichat does not work (I have to change the income server from example.com to server.example.com)

- address book and ical work but they authomatically change the user/account to user@server.example.com

What is correct? What did I set up wrong? I've just followed the normal steps without changing/adding anythin in the system.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 9:08 AM

What is the name of your primary zone?

Does your DNS contain an A record for 'example.com', both forward and reverse lookup?

Can you confirm that the A record for 'example.com' points to the correct IP address of your server?

In Terminal, run this command: dig yourdomain.com

What does it say when you do that?

14 replies

Aug 20, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Jonathan Melville

Nope. The primary zone is just server.example.com. I haven't changed anything in the DNS records as - to be honest - I am a little afraid. Anytime I touch de DNS records, I must reinstall the OS.

I could add it. But what I am trying to do is just to install lion server for "dummies", that is, following the menus and entering the basic information as I do no want to start messing everythin up (I did with snow leopard server). Is it possible to fix the problem reinstalling it again but chosing hostname and domain only example.com and not server.example.com?

Aug 20, 2011 9:32 AM in response to Evian

Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of your setup from server admin? This is complicated to debug w/o knowing exactly what you've done so far.

Are you trying to allow people outside of your organization to email you at the address example.com? If so, you need to have a split DNS setup, where you've registered that domain name and set up DNS to point to your Lion server so that mail will be routed properly.

If you setup internal DNS only, nobody on the public internet will be able to send you email.

Aug 20, 2011 10:34 AM in response to Jonathan Melville

Thanks Jonathan. That's what I had in my snow leopard server configuration. My point is that doing a clean installation of lion server and following/entering the basic infomation requested, the DNS does not reflect this.

Let me explain briefly what I've done:

1) IP static defined with www.example.com/server.example.com, example.com

2) SSL defined

3) Installed lion server with hostname server.example.com

4) Users(network users) and grouos created

5) Started services ical/address book/ichat etc and mail with domain name "example.com"

(no manually changes in DNS records)

6) add services on client machines with "mac os x server" account type. As mentioned:

- mail does not work (I have to change the income server from example.com to server.example.com) but then works with user@example.com

- ichat does not work (I have to change the income server from example.com to server.example.com)

- address book and ical work but they authomatically change the user/account to user@server.example.com

7) I have three services (ical, address book) working with account name user@server.example.com and mail user@example.com

Why?

Aug 20, 2011 1:06 PM in response to Evian

Thanks for the reply, and I think we've found your problem!

Your Primary should not be server.example.com. It should just be example.com.

The correct setup is this:

Primary Zone: example.com.

A Record (Machine Record): server.example.com POINTS TO ----> 10.0.1.7

You could try to repair your setup by running changeip from the command line, but I think it'd be easier to do a clean install and start over, making sure your primary zone is set up correctly.

Aug 20, 2011 1:20 PM in response to Jonathan Melville

That means to change the DNS manually shortly after creation.

That's what I did with snow leopard server some time ago. Are you sure that will solve the problem I mentioned above?

Last quick question. Is there an easy way to re-use the current SSL certificate without asking my SSL provider to reissue it (it take some days)?

Thanks for all your comments/help

Aug 20, 2011 1:58 PM in response to Evian

I will never say I'm 100% sure it will fix your problem, as issues related to DNS are complex and numerous.

However... I am 100% sure that the current setup that you have will not work.

Think about it like this, if your primary zone is server.example.com, then that fully qualified domain name is the ONLY domain for which your server is authoritative.

What this means is you can only make DNS entries like this:

• host1.server.example.com
  • host2.server.example.com
  • host3.server.example.com

Which is not what you want to do. You want a Primary Zone of example.com so you can make DNS entries like:

• server.example.com
  • host1.example.com
  • host2.example

The problem you've run into is Apple has tried to make very complex networking tasks as easy as setting up and iTunes account, and sometimes the best (or only) way to set things up is to do it manually, especially DNS.

With DNS particularly, the process is unforgiving. If you screw up your DNS, you're better off to erase the disk and do a clean install from the beginning to make sure you get it right. So, reinstall Lion Server, open up Server Admin and create a new Primary Zone for your server, making sure that it's in the form of example.com. (note the "." at the end of example.com. is important, it's what makes the address "fully qualified".

Then make an A Record pointed to your server --> server.example.com.

I hope this works for you, please keep us posted on your progress and let us know how it goes!

Jonathan

Aug 20, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Jonathan Melville

Thanks again Jonathan. I will post my results.

I agree with you. I've got some experience with DNS last year when I set up my snow leopard server. DNS is so critical that the best thing when one mess up is to start from scratch.

What I am surprised is to see that my lion server set up works perfectly (at least mail, ical, address book, ichat, file sharing) with the configuration done authomatically by the installation program, which does not include example.com as primary zone name. Weird!

By the way, your recomendation about SSL certificates? So far anytime I reinstall the server I need to reissued the SSL certicate which takes days as it needs to be aproved by a third party. Is there a way to speed up the process?

Aug 20, 2011 2:29 PM in response to Evian

It kind of makes sense to me that it "works", but it's coming from user@server.example.com.

You are pointing your external DNS at your server, so if I send and email to user@example.com, that email get's passed to your mail server. But as far as the server is concerned, the only DNS zone it cares about is server.example.com, so that's why it shows up that way... Just my guess, but it makes sense.

As far as SSL, I've never dealt with SSL certificates, sorry! What are you doing w/ your server that you need SSL?

user@server.example.com vs. user@example.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.