Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari PowerBook G4 hangs spinning pinwheel

Hi all,

I seem to get this same result consistently at the same web site.

Safari hangs spinning pinwheel forever,

Activity Monitor shows Safari "not responding."

Cannot Force Quit. Only way out is a hard reset.

Very simple install on this PG G4 mostly for web surfing.

Machine is acting well for all other uses.

Any suggestions?

I'm stumped on this.

So long for now, TOM

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 12:50 PM

3 replies

Aug 20, 2011 7:02 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

I have to check fo rdetails and update this thread when I am on that computer.

I tried the site on a different machine. Unfortunately they moved the page that was causing the issue, and it isn't easily found. It's the local paper's site.

I'll look for it again tomorrow.

Yes I know this machine is getting on, but I only need it to surf the web and read the news, and I hope the failure to work isn't Safari.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Aug 26, 2011 8:11 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn and any other interested listers,

Well it's been interesting trying to fix these issues. Many experiences of the past week are pointing to hardware issues.

I tried to back up my HD expecting the worst, but couldn't get through the process of Restoring (cloning) it to my external FW Disk using Disk Utility ( a task I've done forever without isses).

So I got out the original PBG4 Hardware test and it failed during the "Memory Test." Next I removed the 1 GB RAM chip from the computer and re-ran the Hardware test twice with AOK results, so I am assuming the soldered on RAM is not the issue.

I was able to run the computer from a Disk Warrior CD, and thought it might boot without anything but the onboard RAM, but no go. It kernal panics without any additional RAM installed. Doesn't the Mac need at least 512 MB of RAM and that would explain it, or should it be booting. (Mac OS Leopard X.5.8 installed).

I guess I should get a replacement 1 GB Chip.

Could it be bad contacts. How does one clean the contacts on a RAM Chip.

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM

Safari PowerBook G4 hangs spinning pinwheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.