Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mark As Read

Any way to add this to the bottom of the page too? Just a thought.

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 5:34 PM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2011 1:34 PM in response to Don Archibald

You mean replicating this:

User uploaded file

at the bottom?

I had to do something similar on one of my web sites. They wanted the page navigation controls at both the top and the bottom. Apple Support Communities already has that, but "Mark all as read" is only at the top.

I am more interested in finding out what good that control really does to begin with. I've developed a method for scanning the site for the forums that I'm interested in. I don't really pay attention to whether or not something has been updated. I have the "Your Content" widget on "Your View" for that. Then, I use the pop-ups to look for interesting topics in the "Your Places" widget. If there is something I'm missing out on, I would love to know about it.

Aug 21, 2011 1:54 PM in response to etresoft

I use the "Mark all" item frequently.

I'm active here an hour at a time or so, several times a day. I use the "Watch a User" widget set to me on my personalized homepage as a means of tracking responses to threads I'm already active in, but the popups in Places only show 5 items or so per forum.

So, I go to each forum I usually respond in and look for new activity - bolding of the topic titles (and the "(updated)" indicators) show new stuff quickly, but I don't read all of the topics: more than half the time the topic title lets me know that it's something not for me.

When I'm done cruising that forum (usually only the first page) I click the "Mark all" item and go on to the next forum. Thus, when I cycle back for another gander at the previous forum only new stuff is bolded, lets me pick it out.

Aug 21, 2011 3:34 PM in response to Don Archibald

Sorry for the confusing wording in my post. By "this" I meant "Mark As Read."

I was wondering if Mark As Read can also be added to the bottom of the pages. The way this site is set up, after I scroll down the bottom of the page after reviewing all the posts, I have to scroll all the way to the top to clink on the "Mark As Read" link.

To Miriam - There is no connection between my avatar, my address, racial connotations or political statement. Nothing to consider.

Curiosity killed the cat. 😉

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2011 10:41 PM in response to K.S.

K.S. wrote:

Don,

Do you find "Mark all as read" somewhat unresponsive/slow at times?

Yes.

There always seems to be a 1 or 2 second delay between clicking it and having it act, though the action itself takes only about 3 or 4 seconds to complete.

Occasionally the delay between clicking the item and having it act can be 10-plus seconds, now and then even longer. I just chalk it up to server business. I have been known to give up on waiting for it and switch to a different forum; when I come back, the action was taken. So the delay seems to be more of a display issue than a delay in action.

Mark As Read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.