Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View-based NSOutlineView performs badly

Hi dear community,

I'm currently trying to use a view-based NSOutlineView in my application and everything looks good so far. However, I experience some weird performance issues when using more than one view. I implemented the following method, to provide two views (the default dataCell and headerCell ones, IB creates for a new outline view depening on the kind of item)

- (NSView *)outlineView
 NSOutlineView *)outlineView 
     viewForTableColumn:(NSTableColumn *)tableColumn 
                   item:(id)item {

NSTableCellView *result = nil;

if ([item isKindOfClass:[NSMutableDictionary class]]) {
        result = [outlineView makeViewWithIdentifier:@"HeaderCell" owner:self];

id parentObject = [outlineView parentForItem:item] ? [outlineView parentForItem:item] : groupedRoster;
        [[result textField] setStringValue:[[parentObject allKeys] objectAtIndex:0]];

} else {
        result = [outlineView makeViewWithIdentifier:@"DataCell" owner:self];

[item nickname] ? [[result textField] setStringValue:[item nickname]] : [[result textField] setStringValue:[[item jid] bare]];
    }
    return result;
}

When I just call

makeViewWithIdentifier with a single identifier (e.g. just the HeaderCell or just the DataCell)
the performance is great, just like in finder. However, when using both like above, expanding and collapsing gets

quite slow and laggy while CPU usage spikes. Could anyone explain why that is?

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 4:21 AM

1 reply

View-based NSOutlineView performs badly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.