Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting mp4 without losing quality

Hey guys,

I'm looking to convert a vimeo downloaded video and import it into final cut pro 7. The file is an .mp4 file. When I try to import it, it gives me the following error:

GENERAL ERROR: OUT OF MEMORY.

What settings should I have in compressor so that I retain it's full quality but make it compatible with FCP 7

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 9:09 AM

9 replies

Aug 21, 2011 1:04 PM in response to David M Brewer

Hey guys,

You addressed my main concern which is that it's a bad idea to work on an already compressed file...didn't realize that.

My question is now that I have the original file which is in a m4v file. How do I convert this without losing quality so FCP can read the file? AND YES I RIGHTFULLY OWN THE MATERIAL SO JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Thank you!!!

Aug 21, 2011 2:13 PM in response to Daniel Rodas

That really depends on your intended method of delivery, but ProRes LT or ProRes 422 would be good for editing. DV will work if you plan to deliver SD (DVD for example), but remember that DV is compressed 5:1 anyway.

Keep in mind that MPEG-4 is already highly compressed and missing a lot of information per frame. So when you convert it to a frame-based editing format, the pixel information that's missing will need to be recreated (interpolated) for each frame from surrounding frames. In other words, you will lose quality. And then if you plan to compress it for delivery again (DVD or web), quality will take another hit.

That's why it's best to try to obtain the original footage to work with.

-DH

Aug 21, 2011 2:21 PM in response to Daniel Rodas

The original file is m4v? No...what we mean by original file is what was used to make that m4v. Because m4v isn't an editing format. We mean when the person edited the piece, they had it in some editing codec. THey exported to a MASTERING format, THEN compressed to m4v. It would be best to get the master quality format, not the highly compressed delivery format.

Converting mp4 without losing quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.