Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup using time machine, when I have two internal drives.

I have two internal drives inside of my mac, one is a ssd and the other hard drive I use for photo and music.

I have a external hard drive and I want to use it as my time machine backup drive. The space on that external hard is way higher than both of my internal drives, so space is not a problem.

Can I use that one external hard drive and use time machine to backup both of my internal drive. And if one or both internal drives fail on me. Will I be able to restore from time machine backup just like normal and all my files will restore to the drive where they are before the drive fails?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:03 AM

Time Machine will backup both internal drives unless you tell it not to by using the TM preference pane Options to exclude drives or folders. You will be able to restore either drive.

3 replies

Backup using time machine, when I have two internal drives.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.