Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why iMac G5 power pc screen freezes?

After upgrading to Leopard system, I have experienced frequent screen freezes with patterns of horizontal lines. Ran hardware tests and everything seems okay, except screen froze once while running test and video ram showed error: 2?VD/1?4:2103. ? = unreadable. Have wiped hard drive and reinstalled system, but still get frozen screen. Could this be a video problem or software?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, 512 MB DDR SDRA

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:29 AM

15 replies

Aug 23, 2011 1:31 AM in response to joannefromhigh point

This is down to a graphics chip most likely... I have experience these in the past with 20" and 17" iMac G5 models and is the likely problem.

Shame is that you cannot replace the graphics as its on-board unlike some intel models where the graphics / GDU adaptor is removable.

My suggestion is to purchase a new Intel based iMac 🙂

Hope this helps.

Dom

Aug 23, 2011 8:07 AM in response to joannefromhigh point

Dom, thank you for your response, but I cannot just go out and buy another Intel based iMac and replace all the software that I now have - not on my total dependancy on just my SS retirement income. So, what you're saying is that the graphics chip is part of the logic board and that will have to be replaced? I believe that is $300 to $400, which is certainly less expensive than buying new Intel iMac and all the software? What else could go wrong with this old system if I replace the logic board?

Thanks again for your response.

Aug 23, 2011 8:54 AM in response to joannefromhigh point

I installed a trial MacKeeper app but did not buy it, so I trashed the app, but the following shows up in my Console log:

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[503]) posix_spawn("/Applications/MacKeeper.app/Contents/Resources/Helper.app/Contents /MacOS/Helper", ...): No such file or directory

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[503]) Exited with exit code: 1

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

This is continually going on every 10 seconds. Could this cause the freeze up? How do I get rid of this MacKeeper app. I've searched hard drive, but could not find. Also I've wiped my hard drive and reinstalled OS X, and it's still there!

Thanks for your help...

Jo

Aug 23, 2011 11:17 PM in response to joannefromhigh point

joannefromhigh point wrote:

I installed a trial MacKeeper app but did not buy it, so I trashed the app,

Starting with MacKeeper v1.0.3, there was an installer included. According to the developer and a few users it works like this. You drag the application to the trash, answer a question about why you are trashing it and the installer removes all the pieces and parts that have been scattered all over your Mac. It doesn't sound like that was your experience, so either it was an earlier version or something went wrong with the uninstall module.

the following shows up in my Console log:

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[503]) posix_spawn("/Applications/MacKeeper.app/Contents/Resources/Helper.app/Contents /MacOS/Helper", ...): No such file or directory

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[503]) Exited with exit code: 1

8/23/11 11:47:19 AM com.apple.launchd[79] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

This is continually going on every 10 seconds. Could this cause the freeze up? How do I get rid of this MacKeeper app. I've searched hard drive, but could not find. Also I've wiped my hard drive and reinstalled OS X, and it's still there!

The following information comes mostly from the MacKeeper developer as to where they put things.

If you want to completely remove MacKeeper application from your Mac please delete next items.

In Application folder:

- /Applications/MacKeeper.app

In System Library:

- /Library/Application/Support/MacKeeper

- /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus

- /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon

In User Library:

- /Users/~/Library/Caches/com.zeobit.MacKeeper

- /Users/~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper

- /Users/~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.Backup.agent

- /Users/~/Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist

- /Users/~/Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist

where ~ is your username

In Keychain Access utility:

- all zeobit passwords

If you are still having issues download a search utility such as Find any File or Easy Find (toward the bottom of the page) and look for anything that has the word "MacKeeper" or "zeobit" or a file called "wine". If you find anything come back here and tell us about it so that we can update the above list.

There is a MacKeeper Remover Tool script which apparently works, and even though I have a copy I am unable to verify exactly what it does (compiled as a run only script) and I don't recommend something I can't verify to others.

Aug 25, 2011 7:51 AM in response to MadMacs0

If you are still having issues download a search utility such as Find any File or Easy Find (toward the bottom of the page) and look for anything that has the word "MacKeeper" or "zeobit" or a file called "wine". If you find anything come back here and tell us about it so that we can update the above list

well don't find anything called "wine" as more uses Wine than just MacKeeper.

Aug 25, 2011 11:37 AM in response to joannefromhigh point

Thanks MadMacs and doh for your help. I did find three files from your list above, MadMacs, yesterday, and deleted them, but msgs in Console continued. I then switched over to another user acct and there was no activity from MacKeeper in the console, so it was user specific. I downloaded Find any File, today, and could find no files with MacKeeper or zeobit in the name. But I looked at console just a moment ago and found there is no longer any activity from MacKeeper since last evening - maybe when I switched over to another user account and back. VERY mysterious, but glad that seems to be resolved, but the screen video problem still exists. But not as long as I have something running in the background like a video or music???? Will take it into Apple genius today as I've run hardware tests and found nothing, and thought the MacKeeper activity had something to do with it, so hope they can help me.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Jo

Aug 25, 2011 2:21 PM in response to doh1231

doh1231 wrote:

well don't find anything called "wine" as more uses Wine than just MacKeeper.

Yes, I'm sure that's true, although I've never run into anything else that does so it's never been on my Mac. Probably because I'm not running anything that started out in the Window's world where the developer was too lazy to recompile it for the Mac.

I have just been trying to find out where MacKeeper put wine and have not had time to install it on my sandbox to find out.

Aug 25, 2011 2:26 PM in response to joannefromhigh point

joannefromhigh point wrote:

I did find three files from your list above, MadMacs, yesterday, and deleted them, but msgs in Console continued. I then switched over to another user acct and there was no activity from MacKeeper in the console, so it was user specific. I downloaded Find any File, today, and could find no files with MacKeeper or zeobit in the name. But I looked at console just a moment ago and found there is no longer any activity from MacKeeper since last evening - maybe when I switched over to another user account and back. VERY mysterious, but glad that seems to be resolved

Sorry, I should have mentioned that if you found anything in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ you would need to log out and back in again and if you found anything in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ you would need to reboot to get that to stop. Thanks for the feedback and I'll add that to my checklist.

Aug 30, 2011 8:16 AM in response to Star1

Good point Star1, I've wondered about that. Latest development: opened back and found 2 caps leaking and took into Apple Genus and he felt this is the problem and logic board needs replacing. As you would expect, when we powered up at Apple shop, the screen DID NOT freeze as it had been. Now for 2 days it would freeze up at startup. BUT today, I was able to load iTunes, Safari, mail, and Photoshop Elements, and it is holding. Have found when I run videos and other apps, it will stabalize system - very querky. Thanks for your help - still wondering. A refurbished logic board runs around $600 - $700, so don't know if it is worth doing this...

Aug 30, 2011 8:26 AM in response to joannefromhigh point

If you use your G5 for work you are going to have to do something as it is no longer dependable. A computer that can go ker-blooey at any time, or even just freeze in the middle of a project (even if you can restart and then pick up where you left off) is not a good computer anymore.

I appreciate your hesitancy to replace the logic board, especially at the $600+ price point. For that amount, you should be able to find a good used G5 that doesn't have any hardware issues. There are a number of reputable dealers that sell older refurbished Macs and offer short warranties. If you have software that depends on a PowerPC processor that's what I'd recommend doing. You might be able to yank the hard drive from the failing computer and put it in a nice external case, and the RAM might be usable in the replacement machine or have some eBay value.

In the long run, though, you are going to have to migrate away from most or all of that PPC-dependent software. When you have a lull or break in your workload, that's the time to investigate replacements for both your PPC Mac and the PPC-dependent software you use in your work.

For what it's worth, don't regret your upgrade to Leopard. That had nothing to do with the hardware problem you're experiencing; the timing was entirely coincidental.

Aug 30, 2011 8:56 AM in response to John Hammer1

John Hammer1 wrote:

you should be able to find a good used G5 that doesn't have any hardware issues. There are a number of reputable dealers that sell older refurbished Macs and offer short warranties. If you have software that depends on a PowerPC processor that's what I'd recommend doing. You might be able to yank the hard drive from the failing computer and put it in a nice external case, and the RAM might be usable in the replacement machine or have some eBay value.

In the long run, though, you are going to have to migrate away from most or all of that PPC-dependent software. When you have a lull or break in your workload, that's the time to investigate replacements for both your PPC Mac and the PPC-dependent software you use in your work.

I'd go further and say if you are going for a used Mac, do not buy another PPC. Developers are being encouraged by Apple to stop including PPC updates and they will shortly move all their PPC platforms to the obsolete list, making it more difficult/expensive to get parts. All your PPC software will run on an intel machine with Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6.

Why iMac G5 power pc screen freezes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.