Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory users are not admins when they're offline

I have a feeling this is a dumb question but I can't seem to find the answer. I've successfully configured some 10.6 and my 10.7.1 client to join our Active Directory. I created a domain group that has admin access on every Mac and it works well. My account shows up in System Preferences as "Admin, Managed, Mobile".

HOWEVER, if I logon while I'm off the network I lose my Admin rights. I just show up as "Managed, Mobile". We have a security policy that disallows local accounts so we're restricted to Active Directory only (mainly a Windows shop).

I have a feeling that what's missing it the mapping of AD user and group attributes to local values. If we were running AD 2008 or higher, it would be easy. However, we're running 2003 AD without Unix services so we do not have the schema extensions that other posts refer to. I think that's what the problem is but I don't know how to solve it without using Likewise, Centrify or some other 3rd party tool. Any input would be appreciated.

Environment: Win 2003 AD, OSX 10.6 and 10.7, no Open Directory or UED, just AD is used for authentication.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), w/ Win7 & OSX server using Fusion

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 1:20 PM

Thanks community for the help....😠

Fortunately, I figured this out with a nudge from a fellow Mac admin and some persistence on my part. You need to add the AD user account to the local 'admins' group. You can easily do this from the command line:

dseditgroup -o edit -a $USER -u local_admin_account -P local_admin_password admin

Hope this helps someone else...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2011 1:20 PM in response to SaxDaddy

Thanks community for the help....😠

Fortunately, I figured this out with a nudge from a fellow Mac admin and some persistence on my part. You need to add the AD user account to the local 'admins' group. You can easily do this from the command line:

dseditgroup -o edit -a $USER -u local_admin_account -P local_admin_password admin

Hope this helps someone else...

Active Directory users are not admins when they're offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.