Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot backup to afp sharepoint

I have a MacPro running 10.7.1 and I have a folder shared named "Backups"

I connect my Mac Book Pro to the AFP share (Command-K -> afp://10.1.2.3/Backups), but when I open the Time Machine preferences, nothing shows up in the list of drives.

MacPro Quad Core, G4 1000bT, MacBookPro, mini server, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 2:57 PM

3 replies

Aug 23, 2011 4:29 AM in response to Syth

I believe that was the original plan, but when they found they couldn't control error-checking to the extent they needed for Time Machine, they changed the requirements to this:

Setting up Time Machine is as easy as connecting an external hard drive to your Mac via FireWire or USB, or by connecting to a Time Capsule. You can also use a secondary internal disk if your desktop Mac has one (that is, a disk that you don't start up from).

It does go on to state this, which seems contradictory:

If your backup disk is on a network, the network server must use Apple File Protocol (AFP) file sharing and both your computer and the networked backup disk should have Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later installed.

But, I think that just implies that it was a choice from the first blurb, and is on a network.

Cannot backup to afp sharepoint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.