Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Mount Fuji or Open Old Faithful

Occasionally when I hover on a spot in Safari 5.0.5 , a small text box opens up. Its light yellow in background and has black letters that say: "Open Mount Fuji". Sometimes the same thing happens, only it says: "Open Old Faithful". The type is about 6 points and the message box is only large enough to hold the phrase. It hovers open for about 3/4 of second and fades away. It happened just now while I was setting up this message.

What Gives?

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Long Live the Mac!

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 2:53 PM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2011 2:48 PM in response to Boris the Loud Listener

The tooltips are system wide, more or less. You may not want to eliminate them completely. I find them handy sometimes. To be sure, sometimes they act up a bit, but not as much as they used to, and - for me - not in the annoying way you describe. I wonder if just clearing Safari's history, or maybe clearing the mysterious "website data" will eliminate the Scenic Mountain Tooltips. ( Via the Reset Safari command in the Safari menu.)

charlie

Aug 23, 2011 7:12 PM in response to CT

Thank you CT. I restarted, plus "Reset Safari" from underneath of the SAFARI pull-down menu. No further sign of those pesky varmints. I don't know what "tool tips" are - so I looked around a while.

It seems they are not so popular, but if anybody else come behind us on this thread, this link from a Mac users and tips magazine helps explain the darn things.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

<http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/disable-tooltips-safari-firefox.php>

Aug 23, 2011 7:12 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn, but I just absolutey never put in terminal commands by rote if I don't understand them. And, I don't "understand" any of them - at all. Conceptually, yes. Its to pass parameters to a program. One can control dwell time, font size and enable/disable for tooltips. So I gather from looking at some user tip magazines.

Anyway, a reboot and a reset on Safari seems to have cleared things up. "Open Mount Fuji" or: "New York"? What the heck are they talking about anyway?

Thanks for the answer and the care!

BL

Open Mount Fuji or Open Old Faithful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.