Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbookpro4.1 with no multitouch?

Hello all, I am a bit dizzy from all the, what seems like, circular browsing to find what is going on.

Bought a used Penryn Macbookpro specs below.

From reading the expected specs of Penryn based machines online I am 99.999% sure that this machine is capable of multitouch gestures. As of yet there is nothing within the system preferences that lead me to believe that nothing more than 2 finger scrolling/tapping is possible. The trackpad is identical to that found on a macbookpro3.1

As this is a seller refurbished model (he seems to have a stellar rep and a good returns policy) is it possible that it is some how a 'Frankenmac' with a 3.1 top-plate, keyboard, trackpad with associated firmware on a 4.1 body! Am I going insane!

Have I missed something obvious and detrimentally stupid in my search. Is there a firmware update I seem to have in my blindspot.

My re-awakened paranoia has led to a very frustrating , and fruitless, couple of days trying to find a working 'asd' using 2meg broadband: not fun. Not sure what i might learn if I did get a copy. Would it be worth running this machine through 'asd'?

Thanks for reading

Pat

User uploaded file

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.28f3

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID:

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x021b

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 0.18

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Computer

Location ID: 0x5d200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 40

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 3:01 PM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2011 3:13 PM in response to westerneyes

ASD (Apple Service Diagnostic) is not available to the general public. It's proprietary software offered only to Apple technicians. If you were able to find it offered somewhere for download, the hosting web site and anyone who downloaded it would be breaking the law.

You are correct in thinking the MBP 4,1 should support multitouch gestures — at least some of them, and more than the 3,1 does. But you haven't told us what OS version you're running, and that makes a difference.

Aug 21, 2011 3:21 PM in response to eww

Point taken on asd. Would it be worth bringing it to my friendly local reseller to do same?

Running snow leopard (does which point release make a difference? I'm doing a combo update to newest at the moment). After entering ser. no. through apples system I get this as the only option

"Solid-state trackpad with Multi-Touch gesture support for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities"

thanks for replies and sorry for tech gaps in my story so far

Pat

Aug 22, 2011 2:07 PM in response to westerneyes

I bought a 4,1 MBP exactly because it had the better trackpad than previous MBPs. Mine does support mutli-touch. This is the info from mine:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID:

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x0230

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 0.70

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.

Location ID: 0x5d200000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 40

I don't know if the differences in the Product ID and Version are significant or not. I just provide for your reference.

Macbookpro4.1 with no multitouch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.