Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to have full internet signal but no internet connection?

1. When I choose my wireless airport (10FX05...) it shows full signal bars but no web pages will load. I'm wondering if it is possible to have signal bars yet no actual internet connection. (I'm currently borrowing a neighbor's very spotty no password connection)

a) I have restarted and unplugged/replugged the router numerous times

b) I have my firewall set to allow all incoming connections

c) Macbook is the only computer so no way to know if it is a problem with the internet (although my wireless works perfectly almost everywhere, from school to coffee shops to friends' houses, etc).

Airport says connected to my verizon router, IP address 192.168.1.45. Using DHCP and IPv6 configured automatically.

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Thank you for any/all help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 4:13 PM

3 replies

Aug 21, 2011 5:10 PM in response to notoriousmeg

I'm wondering if it is possible to have signal bars yet no actual internet connection.

Yes, it is quite possible to be able to connect to a wireless router or access point, but still not have access to the Internet.

Please use the System Profiler again, but this time gather the information about the wireless network that your MacBook is connected to. You will find this information under

ref: Click on the Apple icon on the menu bar > About This Mac > More Info... > Contents > Network > AirPort > Interfaces > en1 > Current Network Information

While your at this location, note the value for:

• PHY Mode
  • Channel
  • Network Type
  • Security
  • Signal / Noise
  • Transmit Rate

Please post back your results. (Note: The image below should be similar, but exact to yours as I am running OS X Lion)

User uploaded file

May 4, 2012 6:33 PM in response to Tesserax

I am having the same or similar problem.

Network and internet working fine on other computers and phones. My internet drops out but I am still connected to network. Restart fixes it but that it a pest to do every time it drops out.

Set up a test account in addition to the Guest account, both connect to network ok but not internet. User uploaded file

Thanks

Tim

Macbook Unibody late 08

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4gb

Is it possible to have full internet signal but no internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.