Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive will not mount through USB Hub.

The Hard Drives are ok. If I plug them directly into my iMac (3 weeks old and update to 10.7.1) they mount fine. But they wont show up if I plug them into my USB Hub that is plugged into my iMac. I have had THREE USB Hubs and all of them have had problems. I have USB flash drive that sometimes shows up and a iPhone that will show up in iTunes when I mount it through the hub.

Is there a program (in the system or share/freeware) that will force the Mac to scan and mount them?

thanks - Otto.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27" - 16gb Ram | 2TB/205GB HD

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 7:32 PM

If you have narrowed it down to the hub then that is what you should be troubleshooting. If the drives are getting their power from the hub that might be the issue. Also when you're posting please give specifics like makes and models otherwise we're shooting in the dark. If you are using WD drives that could be the problem there too, they tend to have a wide variety of issues with OS X.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2011 7:32 PM in response to nightotter

If you have narrowed it down to the hub then that is what you should be troubleshooting. If the drives are getting their power from the hub that might be the issue. Also when you're posting please give specifics like makes and models otherwise we're shooting in the dark. If you are using WD drives that could be the problem there too, they tend to have a wide variety of issues with OS X.

Aug 21, 2011 8:04 PM in response to nightotter

Thasnks for the ptompt reply folks. The HUB is a 4-port Belkin, with a power supply. The Hard Drive are each 1 TB. The run on the power from the USB. They are a Seagate and a Toshiba. Now that you both mention the power issue, maybe that is the problem. But it has mounted before. Sometime it's work and sometimes it doesn't. My Flash Drive will show up as will my iPhone or iPad or iPods. But the Hard Drives are having a problem. It seems very sensitive. Sometime when I dismount the Flash Drive, the Hard Drive will dismount too, like it was hanging on a thread and the dismounting of the Flash Drive knocked it off.

I was hoping the Disk Utility might have some scanning feature. I remember WAY BACK in the old OS (9 and before) there was a program that scanned for connected devices. I was hoping there might be something like that which could help.

Thanks again.

Aug 21, 2011 8:09 PM in response to nightotter

The issue is the EHD's are not getting enough power. Going forward never buy EHD's unless they have their own power supply. I would recommend either connecting directly to the iMac or replacing them with higher quality devices. The EHD's I like to recommend are:

OWC Mercury Elite Pro series

LaCie d2 Quadra series

G-Tech G-DRIVE series

All are similar in quality and features. Yes they're probably more money that what you paid however they're worth it. I use the LaCie's however I wouldn't hesitate to use the OWC or G-Tech's either.

Aug 21, 2011 8:26 PM in response to nightotter

My Flash Drive will show up as will my iPhone or iPad or iPods.

Those will show up because they don't require that much power - but 1 TB hard drives are another matter. Aside from the power issue, I'd also seriously consider drives which have Firewire as that is considerably faster than USB. And, I agree with Roger on his recommendations - I have one OWC and two LaCie's - all are Firewire (actually they all have FW 400 + 800, USB, and eSata ports) and all have their own power supply.

External Hard Drive will not mount through USB Hub.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.