Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final cut pro x doesn't load projects on external hard drive

I have installed Final Cut Pro x. I save all of my projects on my external hard drive, and suddenly it has stopped working.

I load FCP and it displays, in the project library all of my projects on my external hard drive, and then dissappears! 😕

I have lots of projects and am really annoyed that I can't use them any more. I would really appreciate all of your help 🙂

It starts loading, and displays this

User uploaded file

My external hard drive is called Ralph docs. It is still loading the window.

Then the external hard drive disappears from the project library...

Then it disappears from the event library. 😠

I tried going into the external hard drive directly and opening the project from there... Nothing happens. I can play it if I do that, but not edit it in the magnetic timeline.

😢

Please help me! I have even reinstalled FCP twice but nothing.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7), External HD: Western Digital 1tb

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 1:38 PM

FCP X does seem to have a problem when too many Events and media is in the Library. I reccommend one of three things.

First, you can get "Event Manager X" to take some of them "offline" temporarily when you're not using them.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

Or you can cretae Disk Images to put stuff in for specific clients or whatever, and only mount the .dmg when you need access to those Events and Projects.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_managing_disk_image_martin.html

Finally, I recommend you create folders in the Project Library, and start putting projects in them, and closing them. That way, the Project Library won't try loading data from all the projects at once. If it's not in a folder, or if the folder is open, FCP X will load up all the data for all the Projects it can see and can be overwhelmed pretty easily.

128 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2011 1:38 PM in response to ilovemacs101

FCP X does seem to have a problem when too many Events and media is in the Library. I reccommend one of three things.

First, you can get "Event Manager X" to take some of them "offline" temporarily when you're not using them.

Or you can cretae Disk Images to put stuff in for specific clients or whatever, and only mount the .dmg when you need access to those Events and Projects.

Finally, I recommend you create folders in the Project Library, and start putting projects in them, and closing them. That way, the Project Library won't try loading data from all the projects at once. If it's not in a folder, or if the folder is open, FCP X will load up all the data for all the Projects it can see and can be overwhelmed pretty easily.

Aug 23, 2011 1:54 PM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

NO YOU CAN'T - not if you're using Lion.

I wasted hours today trying to get this to work. Finally I emailed Steve Martin and he replied, saying it won't work with Lion.

Andy

Aug 24, 2011 4:28 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

This is probably the best way to go; it automates what Apple's own advice is regarding how to manage Events to "hide" them from the interface. Basically you are just moving things around in the Finder, but this application will do it for you (and save you from human error). It's just $5.

If you want to do it yourself, just create new folders called "Final Cut Events Disabled" and "Final Cut Projects Disabled" at the top level. Then in the finder, drag events/projects to/from the main folders to these new ones to disable/re-enable them.

Finally, make sure that FCPX is closed whenever you do these activities.

Sep 3, 2011 8:33 PM in response to ilovemacs101

I have the same problem with 3 HDD in RAID 0 inside my Mac Pro. They disapered (when I open FCP X frist from the project library and then from the event library). Do yo find any solution to your problem ?

I also have 2 SSD in Raid 0 inside the RAID 0 and no problem on those one.

Thank you in advance for your help...

PS : Maybe it is linked to the maximum level on flow rate on the Mac Pro (750 Mo/s if I well remerber).

Sep 4, 2011 1:52 AM in response to Guillaume - Trango

Thanks guys for all your support.

My problem is still not solved!!! I have being on the phone for hours to Apple support and... nothing. I have reinstalled FCPX, moved files around, done a COMPLETE reinstall of Lion and lost all my settings. Now I have to set up my computer again and also download all my applications, and move back all my files, but the issue is still not solved.

It might be hardware-related, but for now I appreciate all your answers!

Keep em comin'!

Thanks so much

ilovemacs101

😕

Sep 4, 2011 2:14 AM in response to ilovemacs101

I see this on an other topic of this forum :

"I had the problem with disappearing drives. Turned out I had a non-FCP folder with some Word files in it. Some of the file names included the word "final". When I change those to soemthing else, the drive showed up.

Anything with "movie" seems to also be problematic. Stupid."

It is realy strange but maybe... I will try for my problem.

Guillaume

Sep 5, 2011 11:05 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

But TimeMachine has always conflicted with FCP in the past. It's recommended to turn off TimeMachine before launching any Final Cut app.

Ben,

It's true that Time Machine had problems with FCE/FCP prior to the current version, but I have had no problems with running time machine while working on FCPX. In fact, all indications to me are that FCPX is "time machine aware" -- it won't let you use a time machine enabled drive, when time machine mounts its drive (I use a NAS), it properly doesn't show up in FCPX, and when Time Machine runs I experience no adverse effects or slowdowns.

Do you have a reference for saying it isn't recommended for FCPX, or are you just basing that on your experience with past versions?

Sep 5, 2011 1:46 PM in response to hafken

I say that based on many posts across the Internet, my own consulting clients, my students, and the members of my user group locally all having TimeMachine issues. Especially in Lion. FCP X also has issues with networked drives, and won't write to SAN drives at all. Lots to be fixed here. DMG's for FCP X have issues in Lion, too.

Final cut pro x doesn't load projects on external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.