Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 weeks and 4 months

Why 2 weeks and 4 months?

Well, in 2 weeks the schools in my area all come back and they will still not be able to use their ipods / ipads through the school networks due to the long standing issue of problems with apps not going through a proxy on a Corporate network. Currently, the ipads which are being used in pathfinding projects are only being used to a fraction of their capability - Apple needs to get this sorted as there are now too many threads from both students and teachers highlighting this limitation. If Apple are looking to promote this into education then they still have a long way to go.

Plus, in 4 months, there will be hundreds of kids and some grown ups too who will wake up to find an ipad in their xmas stocking. They too will join the ever increasing band of disillusioned educators (including me) and pupils who invest both time and effort in this technology only to be let down.

So, is this going to be fixed in ios 5.0? If not, does anyone know when?

iPad 2

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 8:54 AM

IOS 5 is not out yet, so cannot be discussed

You can leave feedback for apple directly

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

6 replies

Aug 22, 2011 9:03 AM in response to vazandrew

I'm sure there are lots of comments already posted on the feedback section on this issue and I will certainly add another. My concern is over whether apple are actually listening.

I am in a position to recommend or otherwise denounce technology products for use in schools with a total of 20,000 pupils. They had better start taking notice as this sector will be big for them, but could be HUGE for them. In days of really, really, really tight budgets, schools cannot afford to purchase wireless networks and mobile devices that are not 100% effective.

Aug 22, 2011 9:14 AM in response to ynwa45

Apple listens to feedback sent via the feedback pages. That doesn't mean that they'll act on any given suggestion.

What Apple will do with iOS 5 in regards to proxy, none of us here know or can say. Given that Apple seems to be able to sell every iPad they can make, though, any issues regarding working with proxy servers don't seem to have been a significant barrier to adoption of iPads, so any perception of proxy issues being a major problem may not be echoed by Apple.

As with anything, no product suits all needs. If the iPad doesn't work as necessary in your environment, you'll want to select a different product. Wagering that at some point in the future any given feature you require will appear or issue that you must have will be solved is not a bet I'd care to make if it were me.

Your school district may also wish to revisit how they are using proxies if the current system is blocking use of a significant segment of popular technology. They may also wish to contact their local/area Apple account executive and get an Apple system engineer involved to look for solutions. If the opportunity is significant (and I'd advise that you don't blow smoke up their skirts; Apple AEs are quite acquainted with school districts, opportunities, and who does and does not speak for the district), that's probably the best way to get Apple's attention on the issue.

Regards.

Aug 22, 2011 6:51 PM in response to varjak paw

Your school district may also wish to revisit how they are using proxies if the current system is blocking use of a significant segment of popular technology.

I think proxy servers where put in to be used as a filtering device. There are other filter technologies around. Perhaps you could use one of them & get rid of the proxy server.

Robert

Aug 23, 2011 4:21 AM in response to ynwa45

Having talked to a number of educators who have used iPads in the classroom, I would disagree that there is any widespread disillusionment about their effectiveness. At our school we have no problem with apps being blocked by proxy servers, nor at other schools in the area that I've heard of. Most teachers and students who have had problems with the iPad have been in known areas such as interactive flash/java sites, difficulty accessing network drives, or limited productivity apps.

2 weeks and 4 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.