Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Installation Stuck at "Checking all disks"

After upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, 2 partitions I had created in Parallels were destroyed. Since I had all of the files backed up, I re-formatted the Mac disk to perform a fresh install Lion.

I rebooted from the OS X Lion disk I created (downloaded Lion from the App Store, Show Package Contents > burn the Install OS X image onto a DVD) and am trying to resinstall but it's stuck on Checking All Disks. The installation has been in this state for hours - the error log keeps updating, but it seems to be stuck in a loop.

The message that keeps repeating is:

subnet_route_if_index: can't get interface name

Looking at the other errors, it appears Lion is trying to find the Apple update servers to download updates but can't find it and it keeps erroring out.

Has anyone experienced this, and how did you solve it and force the installation?

Message was edited by: C.D.A. - spelling

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:35 AM

I had the same problem (well, it hung at "Checking all disks") trying to do a fresh install of Lion from a DVD - I think because I'd used Disk Utility from the DVD to image my internal disk to a USB drive and then re-partitioned/formatted my internal disk it didn't like it - restarting the machine seems to have let it carry on (no network connection on the machine either)

This is a 2009 MBP 17"

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2011 4:35 AM in response to C.D.A.

I had the same problem (well, it hung at "Checking all disks") trying to do a fresh install of Lion from a DVD - I think because I'd used Disk Utility from the DVD to image my internal disk to a USB drive and then re-partitioned/formatted my internal disk it didn't like it - restarting the machine seems to have let it carry on (no network connection on the machine either)

This is a 2009 MBP 17"

Sep 14, 2012 12:41 PM in response to mattsday

I had the "Checking all disks" issue after starting the Lion install from the official Lion USB keyfob, and selecting "Window" from the top menu bar and then choosing "Install Mac OS X" also fixed the issue for me. The window showing the drives is apparently hidden, not drawn, or something. This was on a MacPro1,1 that previously refused to install multiple copies of the downloaded Lion installer, saying they were tampered with or damaged.

Lion Installation Stuck at "Checking all disks"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.