Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iPhoto 11 so slow?

iPhoto 11 (9.1.5) is really slow and unresponsive...hanging up other programs, and generally behaving poorly. Anyone have any insight as to why it's so slow?

2 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 11:40 PM

I'll note that I have no such issues.

How much Ram do you have? How much free space on the Disk? What happens in Activity Monitor as you use iPhoto? What size is your Library - heck anything at all you can tell us that might allow us to work with?

6 replies

Aug 23, 2011 2:54 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks. 1 GB of RAM. 397 Gigs free space. Activity Monitor tells me that iPhoto is using 90MB real mem and 252 virtual. As for the library size, I'll note that there are four libraries in my Pictures folder...2007 iPhoto Library, 2008 iPhoto Library, iPhoto library and Rebuilt Library. Rebuilt is the most recent and sports 34.8 Gigs, iPhoto library is 24.6, 2008 is 1.42 GB and 2007 is 1.16 GB. Rebuilt is currently being used/accessed.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

Chris

Jan 28, 2012 11:07 AM in response to daveff

Performance issues can be caused by a variety of issues - jointly and separately.

How much free space on the HD?

How big is the Library?

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Why is iPhoto 11 so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.