11 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 10:13 AM by Haggardly
gav72isa Level 1 Level 1

My Aperture has been Crashing everytime I import any Photos from Camera and when Using Nikk Software HDR Effects Pro...Sort This Out Please!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), i7 3.4Ghz with 16 Gb
  • SierraDragon Level 4 Level 4

Are you trying to import direct from the camera or card? IMO it is a very bad idea to let Aperture or any other images management app have direct access to one's not-yet-backed-up originals. Sometimes there are just "anomalies" such as you are experiencing, but worse things can happen.

Suggested workflow steps:

• Use a FW card reader or MBP slot to copy to a file folder on the SSD or hard drive. With fast camera cards copy times are quick, but cheap slow cards can slow this step down a lot.

• Eject and physically disconnect the card reader.

• Back up that file folder on external drive(s).

• Only after backup is complete and verified, reformat the camera card in-camera.

• Import images into Aperture from the file folder on the SSD or hard drive.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

• sorinfromtoronto Level 1 Level 1

Aperture is experiencing multiple problems when running under Lion. See this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15996854#15996854

• MarkB- Level 1 Level 1

Some of the Nik plug-ins require the Arial font to be installed, and you can't have any duplicates.  Use the Font Book application to check for this.  If you don't have Arial installed, you need to get it.  If you have duplicates of any of the Arial varieties, leave the one in the main system font folder and remove any of the others.

• shuttersp33d Level 4 Level 4

Would you tell us the exact steps you are taking when importing and when Aperture crashes. Are you going directly from your camera to Aperture, are you using a card reader, or the card slot on your Mac? The more information the better if you would like us to try and help you troubleshoot.

• gav72isa Level 1 Level 1

The exact steps I am taking are:

1. Start Aperture...wait till it loads and then connect USB to Nikon D300... Go to import...name project or image info.

2. Click Import all Selected and then Aperture comes up with Crash notification.

3. Send Error Report to Apple.

4. I have tried Belkin Card Reader...does the same.

5. I have used this Camera multiple times...and also a Nkon D7000 without any issues.

6. Both Cameras use Sandisk Extreme Pro Memory Cards...one uses Compact Flash and the other uses twin SD Cards.

7. I installed Nik Softwares HDR Effects...haven't been able to run it successfully as yet.

8. Nik Software support sent me details on Duplicate Arial Fonts...removed them as well.

9. I am running a NEW model iMac with i7 3.4Ghz with 16GB Memory with 256GB SSD... With a 2TB Internal Secondary Drive as well.Running OSX Lion 10.7 and I constantly check for and do all Updates as notified......is absolutely Frustrating.....just need to find a Solution.

• gav72isa Level 1 Level 1

Thank you for your comments...sent the same by Nik Software Support...removed multiple Arial Fonts as Directed in Support email..restarted and tried again still same problem with HDR Effects in Aperture.

Just a couple other questions.

Did you start having the import issue after installing the Nik Software?

Do you use the same USB cable when importing directly from the camera and from the card reader? If so, have you tried a different USB cable?

Again, just trying to see if anything has changed from when you were able to import to now, or if maybe something went wrong with the USB cable.

Also, have you tried creating a new Aperture library and importing some images into that? Have you looked at any of the Troubleshooting Basics?

• SierraDragon Level 4 Level 4

It sounds like you insist on importing directly into Aperture from camera or card instead of the workflow described in my earlier post.

The workflow you are describing will cause issues for some folks some of the time.

@ Allen: While I understand your workflow and would also recommend it, Aperture should not crash while importing images, so something is wrong.

@ gav72isa: Given Allen's workflow, are you able to import from a folder? or by using Image Capture?

• Haggardly Level 1 Level 1

Aperture crashes everytime I import photos from the compact flash reader.  Sometime requiring it to spend half an hour rebuilding the library before I can print out the photos I just imported.  Very anoying.  I could get a new card reader but I don't want to waste the money if it's just a software problem.