Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Aperture Keeps Crashing on Importing Photos and when Using Nik software HDR Pro

My Aperture has been Crashing everytime I import any Photos from Camera and when Using Nikk Software HDR Effects Pro...Sort This Out Please!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), i7 3.4Ghz with 16 Gb,

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:13 PM

11 replies

Aug 22, 2011 6:17 PM in response to gav72isa

Are you trying to import direct from the camera or card? IMO it is a very bad idea to let Aperture or any other images management app have direct access to one's not-yet-backed-up originals. Sometimes there are just "anomalies" such as you are experiencing, but worse things can happen.

Suggested workflow steps:

• Use a FW card reader or MBP slot to copy to a file folder on the SSD or hard drive. With fast camera cards copy times are quick, but cheap slow cards can slow this step down a lot.

• Eject and physically disconnect the card reader.

• Back up that file folder on external drive(s).

• Only after backup is complete and verified, reformat the camera card in-camera.

• Import images into Aperture from the file folder on the SSD or hard drive.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aug 23, 2011 8:54 AM in response to gav72isa

Some of the Nik plug-ins require the Arial font to be installed, and you can't have any duplicates. Use the Font Book application to check for this. If you don't have Arial installed, you need to get it. If you have duplicates of any of the Arial varieties, leave the one in the main system font folder and remove any of the others.

Aug 24, 2011 4:06 AM in response to shuttersp33d

The exact steps I am taking are:

1. Start Aperture...wait till it loads and then connect USB to Nikon D300... Go to import...name project or image info.

2. Click Import all Selected and then Aperture comes up with Crash notification.

3. Send Error Report to Apple.

4. I have tried Belkin Card Reader...does the same.

5. I have used this Camera multiple times...and also a Nkon D7000 without any issues.

6. Both Cameras use Sandisk Extreme Pro Memory Cards...one uses Compact Flash and the other uses twin SD Cards.

7. I installed Nik Softwares HDR Effects...haven't been able to run it successfully as yet.

8. Nik Software support sent me details on Duplicate Arial Fonts...removed them as well.

9. I am running a NEW model iMac with i7 3.4Ghz with 16GB Memory with 256GB SSD... With a 2TB Internal Secondary Drive as well.Running OSX Lion 10.7 and I constantly check for and do all Updates as notified......is absolutely Frustrating.....just need to find a Solution.

Aug 24, 2011 11:00 AM in response to gav72isa

Just a couple other questions.

Did you start having the import issue after installing the Nik Software?

Do you use the same USB cable when importing directly from the camera and from the card reader? If so, have you tried a different USB cable?

Again, just trying to see if anything has changed from when you were able to import to now, or if maybe something went wrong with the USB cable.

My Aperture Keeps Crashing on Importing Photos and when Using Nik software HDR Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.