Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue screen of death???

My friend was using Word on her new iMac G5 (OS 10.4.3), when the screen went blue. The cursor is visible and can be moved, but does nothing, including no access to contextual menus. There are no icons, menu bar, or dock. Clicking F12 on the keyboard doesn't do anything, nor does command/option/esc.

Here's what I did to try to fix it:
1 - zapped the PRAM (5 chimes)
2 - ran Disk Warrior (Graph showed 23% fractures before running, 0% after)
3 - ran Disk Utility from the OS X install disk that came with her computer, both for disk repair and for permissions. No problems found.
4 - ran Apple hardware test (extended version) that came on the OS X install disk. All tests passed.
5 - booted into firmware, entered:
reset-defaults
reset-all

In every case, rebooting brought up the apple logo, then the OS X boot-up window which sometimes scanned all the way to the end, and sometimes stopped in the middle, but always brought up the blue screen and cursor.

What now???

733 MHz PowerPC G4 Mac OS X (10.4.4) This is not the problem computer

733 MHz PowerPC G4 Mac OS X (10.4.2)

733 MHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 21, 2006 3:26 PM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2006 6:26 PM in response to Barbara Brundage

Well, I called her and had her try the command + N, but she said nothing happened.

Your suggestion makes me wonder, though -- if this is the problem file, is there a way to access what is in the hard drive by booting from another disk? I have not been able to "see" the hard drive by booting from Disk Warrior or the OS X install disk.

But someone must know how to do this?

Jan 22, 2006 8:43 PM in response to Barbara Brundage

I figured I'd probably have to do that, but was avoiding it if there was another way to solve the problem. But that's what I did -- brought her computer here, hooked it up to mine and backed up her data, then did an archive and install. I also installed all the OS updates. At this point all looks good. Hope it stays that way.

Thanks!

Blue screen of death???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.