Skip navigation

How to Install Leopard on G4 with no DVD Drive

1289 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 12:39 PM by BDAqua RSS
Tony Barone Level 2 Level 2 (220 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 22, 2011 6:53 PM

I have a G4 Quicksilver Dual 1GHZ and the internal optical drive is dead and I need to install OSX Leopard on the Computer

I also have a MacPro early 2008 Dual 2.8Ghz. 

for the life of me I can't figure out a way to install Leopard onto the old G4.

I have tried the following

- Connected the G4 to the MacPro in FW Target Mode and installed Leopard via the Mac Pro.. the G4 won't boot from it, I guess Leopard installs only the necessary files to boot the MacPro and not the G4?

- Tried using the Optical drive from the MacPro conected to the G4 in Target mode, but the G4 doesn't see the install DVD in the MacPRo drive.

- Tried partitioning the G4 connected to the Mac Pro in Target mode, and did a "restore" of the Leopard DVD to the G4 hard drive.  For some reason, the G4 still won't boot from it!

I'm now at a complete loss of what to do.

G4 Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz, Mac OS X (10.2)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,670 points)
    Aug 22, 2011 7:00 PM (in response to Tony Barone)

The second method with the Install Disc in the MBP, the MBP booted into Target Mode, the MDD booted with the Option/alt, should work, unless it's a Grey machine specific Install Disc, which are all also only Intel.

Aug 22, 2011 8:58 PM (in response to Tony Barone)
    like I said, when I have the G4 in Target mode to the MacPro, the installation works fine, but for some reason the G4 still won't boot from it.

But the MBP only installs the MBp/Intel version perhaps, what Format & partition scheme is reported from the MBP for the G4's Drive?

Aug 23, 2011 9:49 AM (in response to Tony Barone)

Whew, it is very strange, might be Hardware.

Have you tried reducing the Install options, like fewer languages, Fonts, Apps, etc to see if it maybe finishes?

Aug 23, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to Tony Barone)

Well, some hardware problems won't show up until it heats up enough, or until a certain spot in RAM is needed, or certain multitaskung things are taking place.

One way we used to test CPUs & RAM on macs was to create a huge DMG while pplaying iTunes & running Power Fractal.

Do you have AHT for that G4?

Boot off your Apple Hardware Test Disc , then run the extended Apple Hardware Test. Your model would have a separate AHT CD.

Here's the list and downloads for AHT for some G4 models if you don't find yours, some G4s only have it on the Original Install Disc...

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

The Memory test can really only be trusted if it finds a problem, not if it doesn't find a problem.

Memtest OS X...

http://www.memtestosx.org/joomla/index.php

Rember is a freeware GUI for the memtest ...

http://tech.kateva.org/2005/10/rember-freeware-memory-test-utility.html

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.