Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Install Leopard on G4 with no DVD Drive

I have a G4 Quicksilver Dual 1GHZ and the internal optical drive is dead and I need to install OSX Leopard on the Computer

I also have a MacPro early 2008 Dual 2.8Ghz.

for the life of me I can't figure out a way to install Leopard onto the old G4.

I have tried the following

- Connected the G4 to the MacPro in FW Target Mode and installed Leopard via the Mac Pro.. the G4 won't boot from it, I guess Leopard installs only the necessary files to boot the MacPro and not the G4?

- Tried using the Optical drive from the MacPro conected to the G4 in Target mode, but the G4 doesn't see the install DVD in the MacPRo drive.

- Tried partitioning the G4 connected to the Mac Pro in Target mode, and did a "restore" of the Leopard DVD to the G4 hard drive. For some reason, the G4 still won't boot from it!

I'm now at a complete loss of what to do.

G4 Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz, Mac OS X (10.2)

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 6:53 PM

9 replies

Aug 23, 2011 6:07 AM in response to BDAqua

What makes this whole ordeal even stranger is that the G4 will boot off it's internal DVD drive from the Leopard Install Disk, but when installing Leopard, it craps out about halfway saying it couldn't verify something on the DVD.

I've tried the Apple Hardware Test DVD and it loads, but the mouse pointer is frozen so I can't click on anything.

The startup chime is fine, and like I said, the internal HD appears on my other computer in Target mode, I just can't get the G4 to boot from it... but the G4 does "see" the internal drive because when starting from the Leopard Install DVD it lets me re-format it and such with Disk Utility, and will install the OS until about halfway through.

Do you think its a hardware problem?

Aug 23, 2011 12:39 PM in response to Tony Barone

Well, some hardware problems won't show up until it heats up enough, or until a certain spot in RAM is needed, or certain multitaskung things are taking place.

One way we used to test CPUs & RAM on macs was to create a huge DMG while pplaying iTunes & running Power Fractal.

Do you have AHT for that G4?

Boot off your Apple Hardware Test Disc , then run the extended Apple Hardware Test. Your model would have a separate AHT CD.

Here's the list and downloads for AHT for some G4 models if you don't find yours, some G4s only have it on the Original Install Disc...

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

The Memory test can really only be trusted if it finds a problem, not if it doesn't find a problem. 😟

Memtest OS X...

http://www.memtestosx.org/joomla/index.php

Rember is a freeware GUI for the memtest ...

http://tech.kateva.org/2005/10/rember-freeware-memory-test-utility.html

How to Install Leopard on G4 with no DVD Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.