Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vimeo sharing says upload failed due to file is too large

Hi,

I recently upgraded to a Vimeo Plus account and attempted to upload a video from FCP X to my Vimeo account. It compressed the video to about 1 GB and tried to upload but it returned an error "Publishing to Vimeo failed because file ABC is too large".

I thought the file size limit is 5 GB?

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest anything I'm missing here.

Mac Pro Quad 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 9:26 AM

I am a Vimeo Plus user as well. 5GB is your weekly max that you can upload. Individual files, however, have a smaller limit. I could be mistaken, but I believe a single file cannot be longer than 1GB. Remember that Vimeo will re-encode your file to around 1.5Mbps and 720p to show it from the Vimeo site. So, if you are encoding using some ultra high quality settings, you don't need to. I encode to 1280x720 at 2 to 4 Mbps with 24 keyframes and it usually produces files that are around 400 MBytes to 600 MBytes for about 45 minutes of high def video. Also, you might want to use their webpage uploader instead of the desktop uploader. Folks have experienced problems with their new desktop uploader. Best wishes.

stephen

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2011 9:26 AM in response to Tony Kambourakis1

I am a Vimeo Plus user as well. 5GB is your weekly max that you can upload. Individual files, however, have a smaller limit. I could be mistaken, but I believe a single file cannot be longer than 1GB. Remember that Vimeo will re-encode your file to around 1.5Mbps and 720p to show it from the Vimeo site. So, if you are encoding using some ultra high quality settings, you don't need to. I encode to 1280x720 at 2 to 4 Mbps with 24 keyframes and it usually produces files that are around 400 MBytes to 600 MBytes for about 45 minutes of high def video. Also, you might want to use their webpage uploader instead of the desktop uploader. Folks have experienced problems with their new desktop uploader. Best wishes.

stephen

Aug 26, 2011 7:53 AM in response to James Cude

From Vimeo's FAQ:

"With 5GB of storage space a week (5GB per file)"

I did a manual test by uploading the file that Final Cut Pro X had created using Vimeo's web uploader. It worked.

Definitely something wrong with the Final Cut Pro X/Vimeo Plus integration.

I posted issue to Vimeo's support forum and one of their staff responded with this:

"this is a limitation of Apple's software. We're working with them on trying to lift this limit to 5 GB but there's no telling whether or not that will happen."

May be time to log a bug report.

Aug 26, 2011 9:14 AM in response to Tony Kambourakis1

I use Vimeo each week to upload the files I produce on FCP X ... but, I always render the final file using Export Using Compressor Settings in the Share menu. I have my own custom setting for around 2Mbps, 24 keyframes, 1280x720, etc. I never use FCP X's menu items to upload or interface to the site. When my file is finished, I just go to my Plus account and choose Upload File from Vimeo's menu. Never had a problem. Best wishes.

stephen

Oct 10, 2016 6:51 AM in response to Tony Kambourakis1

Here we are, 5 years on and I'm still having the same issues too!

It happened to me when exporting a long lecture (1hr 20 mins) which was maybe understandable but I then exported it to the desktop and uploaded it via Vimeo's web uploader and it was fine. I have since done a complete shut down and restart of the computer and had to then do a quick edit of some vox pops from the same event. The file size was only 150Mb and yet FCP still returned a 'File too large error'. And still it uploaded fine to the site manually.

The direct to Vimeo export option is really useful for me as all my clients then download from Vimeo and there is no additional conversion process to do to get the file sizes down before I deliver. And the sad thing is that for the most part it has worked flawlessly but now I'm at the stage where I can tie up the computer for hours (often overnight) rendering a movie and not know whether it will deliver or not. It's not good.

Vimeo sharing says upload failed due to file is too large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.