Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Delete Group From Address Book?

So Lion has changed the look, and it appears, the functionality of Address Book. I want to delete a contact group but how? Highlighting the group then clicking "delete" does not work. Going to 'Edit Distribution List" also does not allow me to delete group? Can someone give me the secret Apple Code?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 4:40 AM

12 replies

Jun 13, 2017 7:25 PM in response to whyamac

So here we are nearly 5 years later, and I can select the "edit distribution list" option from the menu, but when I select that distribution list I can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to it. I have been trying to delete a single contact from a list for two hours. How many backwards steps do apple intend making with their crap before they all just quit?

Aug 23, 2011 4:45 AM in response to whyamac

You're not allowed to have the Secret Apple Code, yet.

What does it do when you select the group and press the delete key?

Or, when you select a group and choose Delete Group from the Edit menu?

That's the way it should work.

Note that if the name of the group is background highlighted, you are editing the group name, not selecting the group. Make sure the color of the name changes to blue, but doesn't highlight.

Aug 23, 2011 4:56 AM in response to Barney-15E

OK, so Lion is designed to make you look stupid. After I posted this question, because I'd tried everything and did a search, I then read your response and clicked the group to highlight it, then pressed "Delete" - but NOW I get a dropdown window that asks "Do you want to delete this group?" I swear, no drop down window appeared before, or, my alzheimer's is way more advanced than I thought.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Oct 11, 2012 2:25 PM in response to whyamac

I'm actually a long time Mac user and have some intuition, but this is crazy. You're telling me what I would tell my wife/kid/mother on how to do it and that makes complete sense but it's not working that way. I'll insert a screen shot here. I've found a duplicate and I want to delete it. All the natural instincts (and the things you suggest-which are the same thing😀) don't work. It's blue and selected - delete (or command/delete) doesn't work and you can see the options under Edit.

User uploaded file

Oct 11, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Martunes

The "delete card" option that is greyed in the "edit" options on your screenshot will become dark and selectible if you click anywhere on the address book - or at least it should. Collapse the edit drop down then click on the address book then click on the contact you want to delete to enhance it with bright blue then click the edit option drop down and you should see the "delete card" option in dark print.

How to Delete Group From Address Book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.