Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to safely store confidential information?

I want to take an old PowerBook 12" with OS X 10.4.11 with me on holiday to surf the web using WLAN, check e-mails etc.

How can I store confidential information.

* user logins and passwords

* private data I want to take with me and I want to work on (files)

Does an encrypted disk image make sense?

How do I have to set it up, when I do not only want to read the files there, but save /edit them?

What other alternatives are there?

Kind regards

beckmart

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:49 AM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2011 9:26 AM in response to beckmart

The thing that worries me about bukling items in a disk image is I believe all your eggs are in one basket. Others feel free to correct me but I believe putting 10 files in one disk image is basically making a single big file out of them. Should that file become corrupted then everything is blocked. Let's say you had a 10MB disk and 10 one MB files. Let's say a 1kB error appears on the drive. With 10 files one of them that uses that spot becomes corrupted but the other 9 are still okay. With a single 10MB file the whole thing includes that error area and as a result the whole file is perceived as bad.

Some individual applications have encryption, though the security level on some has been questioned.

Apple used to have an encryption tool back in pre OSX days but alas it is no more. According to http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/07/ask-os-x-daily-how-can-i-password-protect-a-file/ the zip utility in Terminal can encrypt an individual file. However, most people find Terminal a bit cumbersome. I suppose it would be possible to interface this as a more friendly utility via Automator or and Applescript...

Aug 25, 2011 10:24 AM in response to Limnos

You need to have a good backup plan when using encryption.

Take a large flash drive alone. Copy disk images to it. Should be safe since your data is encryped. Be sure to use a secure password. Write the passward done & leave the paper at home.

Use the sentence password methed. First letter of each word. Example:

Write the passward done & leave the paper at home.

Wtpd&ltpah

Robert

How to safely store confidential information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.