Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group movies series (eg Star Wars) together like TV shows-How?

How do you group movies series, eg Star Wars, Harry Potter etc under one "folder/title" then list movies in here the same as TV shows does?

In TV shows I see one "older" with the TV show name on, click it and it lists the episodes - perfect. Surely Apple have thought of the same thing for movies,'otherwise there's going to be a long long long list of movies.

I know about playlist but I'd prefer it the same as TV show way.

Can you? If so how please

Cheers

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 11:32 AM

11 replies

Aug 23, 2011 11:52 AM in response to the loc-man

Depends which Apple TV you have.

You can give movies a show name (i.e. James Bond, for all James Bond movies) and the Apple TV 1 will group these together like a nested folder amongst the list of your other movies, this is extremely useful especially when you have a lot of movies. Unfortunately the Apple TV 2 doesn't see the show name, or at least it doesn't group them like the Apple TV 1.

This seems to be a limitation of the iOS rather than the Apple TV since the iPad, iPhone etc all do the same. If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance the Apple TV you can send Apple your feedback here.

Aug 23, 2011 1:57 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Sorry meant to say this is an Apple TV. So if it's a limitation of iOS how can TV shows group them?

Also surely someone at Apple must have pre thought/used/tries this and thought that just a massive long list of movies is cumbersome, or am I the only one that thinks this? What do others do?

I've sent my feedback, can others as well please, this has to be in an update/future feature for usability.

Cheers

Aug 23, 2011 2:15 PM in response to the loc-man

Yes I realised you had the Apple TV, but the Apple TV 2 runs iOS just like the iPhone etc, which why it doesn't group movies with a 'show name' as the Apple TV 1 does, which runs OSX.

I wouldn't know what thought processes have occurred behind this decision. It may be that Apple have decided that phones, iPads, Apple TV's etc have become used more on a casual basis, ie more you tube and less extensive movie libraries, or it may be that iOS has a particular difficulty reproducing this particular feature of the Apple TV.

All I know is it's immensely frustrating when you have well over a thousand movies in your library, and one of the reasons I prefer the Apple TV 1.

You may not be aware, but the Apple TV 1 would also group all similar TV shows together with series inside that grouping, the Apple TV 2 only groups them by series, which again is annoying when you have TV shows with 19, 17 and 13 series.

Aug 23, 2011 9:11 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well I can't believe a company like Apple a) can't manage to add this, and b) that it's been like this now since release Sep '10. Surely it's a feature that they can see is required for most people even with 10 movies in a library never mind 1000's.

Have you and others sent feedback also to Apple?

I've been reading around net and some people are using the genre to group them, eg put a genre as Star Wars to group all 6 movies together under genre on Apple TV 2 etc. If it can be done like this for genre surely can be added fr another field?

How do you currently organise your 1000's of movies on your Apple TV 2 then please? Must be a nightmare!

Cheers

Aug 24, 2011 5:25 AM in response to the loc-man

Have you and others sent feedback also to Apple?

Yes

How do you currently organise your 1000's of movies on your Apple TV 2 then please? Must be a nightmare!

Yes, it's a nightmare. Not quite so bad for movies like 'Carry On' (if you know what they are) since all 'Carry On' movie titles start 'Carry on...........', and at least they are all together in my very long list, but movies like 'James Bond' movies start their titles differently in each case.

When I have a large subset of movies (James Bond has 18, Carry On has 23) it can be worth using the Genre, but that doesn't take them out of your main list, another option is to change the title to something like; 007 - Goldfinger, 007 - Thge Living Daylights etc.

Aug 24, 2011 6:52 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I still use the "show" tag to group moves together, at least. It doesn't put them into a sub-listing like it did on the ATV 1, but it does list them all together. Then I also use the "sort name" to put the movies in the proper order. For example for James Bond movies my "show" is "The James Bond Collection" and in "sort name" I put "Bond 1" etc. It's not as neat as the ATV1 but it gets the job done.

Aug 24, 2011 7:05 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael I hadn't thought of using the 'Sort Name' to ensure movies appear together in the Apple TV 2 movie list. Before I try this though, in your example does that not result in the movie "Goldfinger" being listed with other movies begriming with 'B", perhaps if the movie title began with say 3 blank spaces, it may indent the list of Bond movies and make it a little easier to scroll through.

Aug 24, 2011 7:11 AM in response to Winston Churchill

You have to use the "sort name" tag in concert with the "show" tag to get themt to be placed in the list appropriately. At least this has been my experience. Yes, this method does put the James Bond moves out of alphabetical order, becaue of the "show" tag they are all listed under "J" but as long as I remember that it works for me.

I also do this for my Stanley Kubrick moves. The "show" tag is "The Stanley Kubrick Collection" which puts all the movies under "S," then I use the "sort name" tag to put them in chronological order: "Kubrick 1956" etc.

Group movies series (eg Star Wars) together like TV shows-How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.