Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to delete all email messages from inbox without checking each one at a time on my iphone 4?

Whenever I want to delete messages in the inbox on my iphone 4, using v4.2.8, I have to manually check each one and then delete them the checked ones as a group. Is there a way to select all and delete them at one time? I love the phone and it is a little complaint, but I often get 50-60 work related messages which I scan then delete because the originals are on my work computer. Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.7

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 1:52 PM

No. What you're doing is the only way to delete your emails.

8 replies

Nov 4, 2011 11:23 AM in response to rolandintucson

Does ANYONE know why this simple feature hasn't been implemented yet? It seems that a "Delete All" mail button is the most asked-about iOS feature in these forums, and Apple doesn't seem to care. Let's see:

1) It's a huge usability issue, and it's relatively simple to implement.

2) Apple sees itself as an advocate for usability and simple design.

Trivial, isn't it?

Nov 4, 2011 8:50 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

And if Apple did such, these forums would be flooded with postings from users screaming..."All of my eMails have been deleted...how do I get them back...HELP!!!"

Brilliant reasoning! Then why do they have a "Reset" button that wipes out EVERYTHING in the iPhone? One would think that a "Delete All" button would be less harmful, since deleting emails simply move them to the Trash and the "deleted" messages are fully recoverable. I don't think Apple thinks its users are stupid, do you?

Nov 4, 2011 8:49 PM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:

Also, the iPhone is not a standalone device and obviously doesn't have a full blown mail client... it's an adjunct to your computer. If you want to delete a lot of emails, do it on your computer. You could also log into your webmail using a browser on your iPhone and do it from there.

You have a point, but you're just helping exposing the misery a little more: I actually DO delete the emails in WebMail, very easily. The problem is the sorry state of the Apple email client, that does not replicate those actions on the device, so I have to delete the messages TWICE--once on my computer, with a couple of clicks, and then on my iPhone, with a couple (hundreds) finger gestures.

As to your point that the iPhone is not a standalone device: that's nonsense. The iPhone does a lot of things that users thought IMPOSSIBLE just 10 years ago. Are you saying that the addition of a simple feature like a "Delete All Messages" button is too much for a mobile device? Then what to say about Siri, a complex-beyond-our-imagination system that incorporates voice recognition, AI, searching and other hard-to-grasp technologies, all at our fingertips?

Is there a way to delete all email messages from inbox without checking each one at a time on my iphone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.