Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you lock down the settings or apps so students can change them?

I have 20 and soon more, iPads for our school and have been looking for a way to "lock down" the settings and several of the apps from students. I have downlaoded the iPhone Configuration Utility, but it does not seem to allow me to LOCK certain settings. I have been to the CASPER site and did not find the lock settings in that application either. I basically want ARD for an iPad!! or Worgroup Manager with ipad settings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 5:01 PM

So I went to an Apple iPhone Management seminar and discovered that you can't lock some of the settings easily. Apparently there is some script you can get(I do not know where) to do this, but I'm not crazy about getting into the guts. But through iPhone Manager (FREE) you can set some things more restricted. Do not overlook the restrictions setting in the Settings area to restrict some things by password. Good Luck for now.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2012 5:01 PM in response to rmom

So I went to an Apple iPhone Management seminar and discovered that you can't lock some of the settings easily. Apparently there is some script you can get(I do not know where) to do this, but I'm not crazy about getting into the guts. But through iPhone Manager (FREE) you can set some things more restricted. Do not overlook the restrictions setting in the Settings area to restrict some things by password. Good Luck for now.

Sep 1, 2011 6:21 AM in response to rmom

I have been trying to find out the same thing in regards to "locking settings". My son (who has an intellectual impairment) uses the ipad for school and is continuously going into the settings and changing them. I have put restrictions on everything I can but still spend many hours resetting the ipad because he decides to give it a password then can't remember what it is. He also rearranges icons, changes colour settings, background pictures etc. I have tried hiding the icon in a "folder" and disabling the search option, but he still manges to find it. So if they have come up with a way to lock the settings I would be extremely relieved to hear about it.

Mar 7, 2012 7:03 AM in response to rmom

I think perhaps you misunderstood. Unless there's something hidden that I have missed and cannot find any mention of, there are no additional restrictions available via scripting; not in the current version of iOS, anyway. Scripting just allows an administrator to set up different configurations that can be deployed easily, without having to make manual settings in the iPhone Configuration Utility for each different scenario. There are no additional restrictions options over what is setttable in the Settings/Restrictions on the iOS device, at least none I can find. See page 75 of the Enterprise Deployment Guide for the Restrictions controls available via scripting:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

If you were told otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate your posting more details as to these hidden settings and where one can find information. Nothing of this has been mentioned in any of the Apple seminars or information I've been party to.

Regards.

How do you lock down the settings or apps so students can change them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.