Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find an Apple certified internal hard drive?

I have a December 2006 MacBook Pro that I upgraded RAM and hard drives (twice) from OWC. After having Apple replace the display and the motherboard (again twice) I've been having boot problems. My local Genius Bar told me to replace the RAM with my original RAM and see if it solves the problem.

Well, it seems to solve it, but my internal HD shows up as "Failing" in disk utility. I cleaned off my original 120GB HD and installed the OS (Snow Leopard) and whenever it's plugged into firewire, the system will boot automatically to it rather than the internal drive.

There's an Apple logo on the original drive, so there's something about it that the Mac likes. There seems to be something to the "official" Apple hardware deal.

My problem is that the Apple Store doesn't seem to sell either internal drives for notebooks or memory for MacBook Pros as old as mine.

I can take it back to the Genius Bar to find out if they can sell me the right stuff without having to install it themselves, but I'd much rather do it myself, so I don't have to let go of my computer, which I use every day.

Any thoughts? Apparently I can't trust the hardware that OWC sells. Does this make any sense?

MacBook Pro Intel 2.33GHz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 4:56 PM

9 replies

Aug 23, 2011 5:18 PM in response to Csound1

Well, that sounds simple, and I'm at this point willing to pay more to solve these problems, but I thought I made it clear in my wordy message that the Apple Store doesn't

1.) list internal drives for laptops

2.) doesn't have any listing for any MacBook Pro memory for my 2006 computer.

If I don't get any answers here, I'll return to my local Apple Store just to ask there. I can't find anywhere else online that will respond with charging me, since my Apple Care is expired.

Aug 23, 2011 5:22 PM in response to Jim Webber

Apple have used many (most?) manufacturers hard drives, amongst mine are Hitachi, Fujitsu and a Seagate (which may not be original, bought it used)

All hard drives can fail, in fact all hard drives will fail, just depends on whether you still own it when it does.

Sorry you don't care for OWC, I have never had an issue with anything I bought from them

Aug 23, 2011 5:38 PM in response to John Beatty1

Maybe that's too definitive, but I've installed two drives that Apple reports as failing within a short time of each other. I need a reliable upgrade. I've used OWC for years and I realize anything can fail, but the people at the Apple Store list "non-Apple-certified" hardware as a potential problem and it seems to hold true in this case.

Can it be just an excuse to cut you of of support after a repair? If not, I should be able to find the right hardware to replace it with.

Aug 23, 2011 6:02 PM in response to Jim Webber

Can it be just an excuse to cut you of of support after a repair?

Maybe, or you might really have bad hardware......but even if you get a certified Apple HD, the fact you've made non-consumer changes (install of the original HD upgrade) your warranty would be voided anyway I think. Even if you'd installed an Apple Certified Drive.

I'm not sure you can buy an "Apple Certified Drive" on the open market......but you can buy the same drives that Apple buys and "certifies" if that makes any sense.......

Where can I find an Apple certified internal hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.