Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BTServer causing high CPU utilization

Just got a new MacBook Pro with OS X Lion and updated to 10.7.1. I've seen the BTServer process cause high CPU utilization twice now. One morning I also noticed that the fan was running loudly while the lid was closed and the computer was locked up; I had to force power it off. Anyone seeing similar issues? Doing a search for BTServer on Google or even here in the Apple Support Communities does not bring up anything related to Lion at all, only iPhone-related articles.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1.3GHz

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:35 PM

35 replies

Aug 23, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Ryan Homer

yup, i had this problem too. i have a new 2.2ghz macbook pro and while at a coffee shop, i noticed my battery draining very quickly, and a look at activity monitor showed that BTServer was running away with high-cpu utilization. i killed off the process and didn't notice any loss of functionality.

not sure what it was supposed to do with so much freaking cpu cycles!!!

is this for bluetooth? i dont even have bluetooth on. im not happy about this having to be something i'd need to keep a eye on when i'm trying to maximize my battery life. 🙂

Aug 24, 2011 11:51 AM in response to timmysf

I'm having this same probem myself on a new MacBook Air running 10.7.1. I'm a developer as well, so that makes sense if it has something to do with the iOS Simulator. Hopefully Apple will update the software soon to fix this problem. In the meantime, I've just been using Activity Monitor to quit the BTServer process. My fan slows down right away when I do.

Aug 25, 2011 2:56 PM in response to Ryan Homer

Just confirming I have this issue, too. And that killing BTServer works.

I have noticed this since installing Xcode 4.2 w/iOS 5 beta 6. It has occurred on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and a MacBook Air running Lion, so it seems OS-independant. Also, the iOS simulator is not necessarily running at the time of high CPU usage, but has been launched since rebooting. Sometimes, simply relaunching the simulator does the trick.

Cool down, little Air, coooool down.

Sep 2, 2011 10:48 PM in response to Ryan Homer

I recently noticed the same issue, and a lot of the supporting details match - dev working a late build (aug 2011) xcode 4.2, running iOS simulator. BTServer doesn't always start going crazy, but on my 2010 macbook air it will occasionally start taking up 150-170% cpu in activity monitor, and I'd kill the process to good effect.

Tried quitting iOS simulator and that does the trick as well. I just wish there was a way I'd get notification that it's going crazy sooner than waiting for the fan to start ramping up and the battery draining.

Sep 12, 2011 4:29 PM in response to Ryan Homer

Just had this problem, and I have indeed launched the iPad simulator since rebooting my machine. I was doing some coding work in the morning, went to lunch and had some meetings, came back to find my machine running at 97º C (!!) and the fans both raring away at 6,000 RPM. Killing btserver in the Activity Monitor quickly brought things back down to normal.

I'm on 10.7.1 and Xcode Developer Preview 4.2 Beta 7.

BTServer causing high CPU utilization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.