Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Lion and Xcode 4

I have a 2010 Mac Book Pro. I just upgraded to OS X Lion and Xcode 4.1 a few days ago (August 18 to be exact). I gave OS X Lion a 5 star review in App store because I really liked all the new features. I have been using OS X Lion without any problem until I started writing program again using Xcode 4.1. When I try to open a project and I double click a folder, Xcode goes to workspace and the spinning cursor appears as if it is reading something. After a while, the spinning stops and nothing opens. I try to open a project again but this time I just click instead of double click unti I got to the file/project that I wanted to open. The project/file open and everything was fine. Then I tried to duplicate the problem just to make sure. It did it all the time.

And then I wondered if this is only happenning on Xcode. So I tried opening a PDF file on Preview. It did the same thing. When I doubled click a folder, it read all the files in that folder and it locked up. But unlike Xcode that did nothing but a spinning cursor, Preview opened lots of files and there's a counter counting the number of documents and pages that is being opened. Theres thousands of documents and tens and thousands of pages being read. I don't even have that much PDF files in my hard drive. I think it's reading all kinds of files. I was able to stop the Preview by opening Finder, shutdown from there to force quit the Preview. We don't have to be that careful on wether to single click of double click. Do we?

When I double click the first folder there are only subfolders there too. One or two more subfolders before I get to the PDF file that I want to open. Maybe I'm a newbie but isn't it supposed to stay in that folder wether you double click or not until it finds at least one associated file? Does anyone have the same problem or am I losing my mind?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Xcode 4.1

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:43 PM

32 replies

Aug 24, 2011 3:52 PM in response to K T

Ok thanks, I will go to Apple Store this weekend. I checked Lion/MBP forums, but no similar issue.

You sound like an experienced developer. I am not a paid Apple Developer member yet. What's the difference between 4.2 and 4.1? 4.2 is only available to paid members so I can't try it for now.

The last time I used Xcode 3.2.6 was in May when Xcode 4 was first released. At that time, it was not free. I think it was $29.99 too or free for paid members. Now 4.1 is free at the App store.

I did not have plan of upgrading to Xcode 4.1 because of bad reviews. The reason I installed it is because after I installed OS X Lion, Xcode 3.2.6 won't run. A pop up message says:

"To run 'Xcode' you need a Java runtime, but you are not connected to the internet"

While in fact I am connected and I can browse websites. But since Xcode 4.1 is free now, instead of fixing that problem, I just installed it. Which lead to this nightmare.

I am not planning on publishing any App soon. What's the benefit of becoming a paid member now aside from getting Xcode 4.2 for free?

Aug 24, 2011 4:03 PM in response to e. developer

Xcode 4.2 was released in conjunction with iOS5.

As for the tool itself, there may be changes under the hood, but work-wise it's the same.

I use Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion with no issues, but it required a JAVA update.

If you plan on distributing apps for iOS or Mac, you'll need to become a paid developer. Depending on your needs otherwise, there is a significant resource pool available to paid developers that may have value for you.

Aug 24, 2011 9:41 PM in response to K T

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are so advanced. K T, English is my second language, you even have to make me search for what YMMV stand for 🙂. I already installed the JAVA update and my Xcode 3.2.6 is back up and running. I can open my codes now.

For now I just wanna isolate the problem. If it is Xcode 4.1 or OS X Lion issue. I love OS X Lion. I dont wanna go back to Snow Leopard if I dont have to. I wanna uninstall Xcode 4.1 (which is really acting up by the minute) without affecting my Xcode 3.2.6. Below, I have the uninstall instruction from Xcode 4.1. Which one should I use? The issue that I wanna isolate is opening files on Preview and XC 4.1. Everytime I try to open a file the "open" button is always enabled. When a folder is selected, it should be disabled.

Uninstalling Xcode Developer Tools

To uninstall Xcode developer tools on the boot volume along with the <Xcode> directory, froma Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

To remove the underlying developer content on the boot volume, but leave the <Xcode>directory and supporting files untouched, from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=systemsupport

To just remove the UNIX development support and command line tools on the boot volume,but leave the <Xcode> directory and supporting files untouched, from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=unixdev

Finally, to just uninstall the <Xcode> directory you can simply drag it to the trash, or from aTerminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=xcodedir

NOTE: The uninstaller that ships with previous versions of the Xcode developer tools will notclean everything off of your system properly. You should use the one installed with theseXcode developer tools.

OS X Lion and Xcode 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.