Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove background colour?

Sometimes I copy info from a website and I end up with a background colour that I can't get rid of in TextEdit other than converting to plain text.

Example: go to http://dpreview.com/, copy some text, and paste in TextEdit. It arrives with a black background.

How do I get rid of the background and just leave the text?

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:19 PM

19 replies

Aug 23, 2011 10:38 PM in response to Guy Burns

I copied and pasted the first main paragraph but didn't use Textedit because I am using it for another document which I can't close right now and can't change TextEdit to non plain text. I did paste the text into Bean text editor and it came through with a white background. Neither Bean nor Textwrangler show the presence of any invisible characters.

I also copied and pasted the whole page into Bean. Well, there's lots of formatting messed up but only the last three lines of the page have a black background.

If you don't want to lose the formatting (which won't transfer that well anyway with copy and paste) perhaps try a different text editor.

Sep 23, 2017 1:51 PM in response to Guy Burns

Easiest way to remove the highlighted text. You must first hit the Command + A. Once all of the text you want to delete the shadow from is highlighted. Then scroll to the menu and click on the icon with an A and Eraser. It should say Clear Formatting. And that’s it. It will format it to the word format and lose the other format.

Aug 23, 2011 10:23 PM in response to Guy Burns

Okay, this is what I do:

1. Select text on a web page.
  2. Command-C.
  3. In a TextEdit or iText Express document (rich text, with formattted text already in the document), I press Command-V.
  4. Text and black background appears and I don't know how to remove the background. If I press Return at the end of the black-background paragraph, all new text I type also has a black background.

I have two questions:

Q1: What actually is this black background? Is it a text attribute (bold, italic, strikethrough and so on)? If so, what is it called – Black Background? Is it a separate layer (like in Photoshop) that is all black?

Q2: Is it possible to do something to remove it other than setting the entire document to plain text ?

Converting to plain text is not a solution as there is other text in the document that I don't want stripped of formating. A workaround is to paste the text into a new document, make it plain text, then copy and paste into the real document. A lot of work just to try and remove a background.

It seems weird to me that text with black background can by copied and pasted, but the background can't be removed.

Dec 21, 2011 3:30 AM in response to old comm guy

Old Comm Guy has provided the Correct Answer! Thanks!

I've been looking for info on this same question, because I used the typical copy and paste key commands to get something off a web page and into TextEdit, with the same issue: background color taking over all subsequent text that I typed.

Annoying workflow, but at least there are native keyboard shortcuts.

Jul 11, 2013 6:01 PM in response to rikbarry

Font > Remove Style might work in TextEdit, but I normally use iTextExpress for its richer features – and there's no Remove Style option that I could find.

However, rikbarry's solution hinted at another method: go to the Styles menu at the top left of every iTextExpress document window, and apply a style. That gets rid of the background.

Oct 6, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Guy Burns

Dear Guy Burns,

I couldn't find "Font" nor "Remove Style" in my copy of TextEdit 1.5. Instead, I clicked on the pulldown menu in the upper left corner of the window of my document, which is labeled "Styles". With the text containing the offending background color selected, I then clicked on "Default" and the bad color went away. The help guide in TextEdit talks about "color wells" and "toolbars" but doesn't say what they are or how to access them.

Donald

How to remove background colour?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.