Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got an alert saying "Requires HDCP for playback. HDCP is not supported by your HDMI connection

I got an alert saying "Requires HDCP for playback. HDCP is not supported by your HDMI connection

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 9:32 PM

10 replies

Nov 22, 2012 10:49 AM in response to zezehuang

The same problem here. It's been great to stream TV direct from my Ipad to my 46" and even streaming movies from my Imac. Everything was top notch! But suddenly nothing works. I get to see maybe about 3 sec and then it stops telling me that "The content needs HDCP". But it worked since i bought it in June until now. Really tried eveything with chaningig inputs, chaning output res, cables, update my router. Still nothing... But when i plug it in a smaller and a cheap LCD 22" from LG it seems to work??? Why did it suddenly crash on my big tv that supports hdcp, and it obviously worked for 4 months?? :-(

Aug 17, 2014 7:11 PM in response to rickfromquincy

I haven't pursued any of the solutions previously mentioned, but what works for me is to simply press "Menu" on the ATV remote. The error message goes away, and I have no problems until the next Netflix session. I freely admit that I don't understand what causes the problem, but I'm sure the onset occured with an ATV "update." Your results may vary.

Nov 12, 2014 7:15 AM in response to rickfromquincy

I solved the problem this morning, it appears that somehow the TV and ATV becomes out of sync, I unplugged the TV and ATV, left it unplugged for about 5 mins; plugged both back in and it works again. My understand is that it is the TV that causes the problem and not the ATV, the TV has some type of content protection built in and after a while is confused. Anyways, it worked for me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.