Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote controlling my Mac

How do I stop my ATV remote also controlling my Mac at the same time?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 12:56 AM

Hi Jerry!

Not sure if this is how you still do it (it's been a while)

but this is how you used to do it:

1. Open System Preferences and click Security

2. Select "Disable remote control infrared receiver"

Hope it works 🙂

RTO

8 replies

Aug 24, 2011 2:58 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Both above answers are correct, but you have a choice:

If you don't want to use a remote with your computer the easiest thing to do is just to turn the IR off. (System_Preferences/Security/General)

If you still want to use your computer remote then you must pair your computers remote with the computer AND the Apple TV remote with the Apple TV.

To pair a remote with a device hold down the menu and FF buttons together for six seconds or until you see a chain icon on screen (best take the computer into another room, or turn it off, when you do this)

Dec 20, 2012 7:11 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

Had the same issue. Googled it and it took me to the Apple support page for OS6. Made me realize Apple should have an OS dropdown on all support pages. The functionality would be it would search for a solution specific to an OS version. Or apple should just have up to date info on their support pages...

Anyway, to disable he remote:

system preferences --> Security & Privacy --> (unlock the skeumorphic masterlock in the lower left)--> Advanced --> check "Disable remote control infrared receiver"

and then comment on something you think apple should improve

Apple TV remote controlling my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.