Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove attachments from Mail v.5.0 messages

Strange problem aroze with the upgrade to Mail v.5.0. Attachments can no longer be removed from message in my Inbox because the Mail > Remove Attachments menu item is grayed out. Highlighting the attachment and pressing the Delete key deletes the entire message. This seems to happen whether attachments arrive via Gmail or by Microsoft server in different accounts. Is anyone else having this problem?

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 9:16 AM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2012 4:04 PM in response to RonHammer

Yes, this is frustrating. My husband showed me a solution tonight. It's not elegant, but it will allow you to keep your e-mail after you've removed your attachment.

Here's what you have to do: In the Messages list, double-click on the message or group of messages from which you want to remove attachment(s). This pops the message(s) out into a new pane.

Select Message > Remove Attachments. This will automatically remove the attachments from the message(s), and it will collapse the message(s) back into Mail, preserving the message(s) without the attachment. You will see a comment about the attachment's removal at the bottom of the messages from which any attachments were removed.

Seems like a step backwards, but it was good to find this out.

Unable to remove attachments from Mail v.5.0 messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.