Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make spotlight index a mounted disk image?

I have an encrypted disk image mounted, but Spotlight doesn't appear to have indexed the folders on the disk image. Is there a way I can force it to index?

I tried adding / removing it from Sys Prefs > Spotlight > Privacy with no effect.

?

15, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 1:28 PM

Try the following:

Mount the disk image so that there is a disk icon on the Desktop, and then launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities). Copy-paste the following line into the Terminal window, and then type a single space. Do not type <Return> yet:

sudo mdutil -i on

After typing the single space, drag the mounted disk image icon from the Desktop into the Terminal window, click inside the Terminal window, and then type <Return>. Enter your admin password at the prompt (it will not echo on the screen), and again type <Return>.

Hopefully that will enable Spotlght indexing on the mounted image. It might take some time to complete depending on the contents.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2011 1:28 PM in response to axelessbaum

Try the following:

Mount the disk image so that there is a disk icon on the Desktop, and then launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities). Copy-paste the following line into the Terminal window, and then type a single space. Do not type <Return> yet:

sudo mdutil -i on

After typing the single space, drag the mounted disk image icon from the Desktop into the Terminal window, click inside the Terminal window, and then type <Return>. Enter your admin password at the prompt (it will not echo on the screen), and again type <Return>.

Hopefully that will enable Spotlght indexing on the mounted image. It might take some time to complete depending on the contents.

Jan 29, 2013 3:59 AM in response to jsd2

jsd2 wrote:

Try the following:

sudo mdutil -i on

The result for this for me, three times, was "Indexing disabled."

?????

Jun 17, 2013 7:15 PM in response to dr_box

I solved the problem to get Spotlight to index a disk image. My image was an encrypted disk image. After double clicking and mounting disk image, open Disk Utility, select the disk image file, then click unmount in the Toolbar. Wait until it is unmounted, then click mount again. Then go to terminal and try mdutil -sa . If it is still not enabled, try to sudo mdutil -i on option. This has to be done everytime if you want the Spotlight index to be available.

This is a nusiance.

Mark

Jun 18, 2013 6:32 AM in response to dr_box

Apparently my suggested fix did not work for someone who emailed me. I created the disk image some months ago because I noted that Spotlight couldn't see any of the files. With the new disk image I immediately enabled it for spotlight without problem. The problems have only come recently. I am running 10.8.3.

I can send Apple a bug report, but don't really have the time. I have a real job.

How can I make spotlight index a mounted disk image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.