Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop background disappears, Mission Control doesn't work correctly

Sometimes it happens that my desktop background completely dissappears, and Mission Control stops working as well.

It seems to happen when I open a new window in a fullscreen app (like Safari), and while it's opening I switch to another space.

Whenever this happens, my desktop changes to the Dashboard background, and Mission Control doesn't show the other spaces anymore (but you can see active windows in your main space). I've added pictures below.

I can still swipe between spaces, my dock still works and all apps still work in all spaces.

Any way to fix this without rebooting? To avoid this happening (apart from me being more patient)?

This is my desktop at the moment:

User uploaded file

And this is Mission Control:

User uploaded file

I am using: Macbook Pro 5,4

OS X 10.7.1

2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 10:45 AM

18 replies

Oct 20, 2011 10:00 AM in response to Acid_Raccoon

Something similar happens for me. If I wake my computer up from sleep, typically when in 'two monitor mode' (laptop hooked up to another monitor, so using the laptop's monitor and an external one), the external monitor will have a wallpaper, but the laptop's background is just gray. If I bring up the desktop system pref, no matter what I choose for the laptop (a different image, a plain color, whatever), it stays gray. I have to restart to fix the issue.

No problems with mission control though, so I guess it's a different problem.

Oct 25, 2011 4:43 AM in response to LovesSleep

This sounds like another problem specific to having two (or more) monitors.

In this case, when you open a 'full screen'' app, or make a currently open app ''full screen'', then the remaining monitor(s) just default to a plain grey (like fabric) background. It doesn't matter which screen you have active for ''full screen'' mode, but whichever it is, the other one becomes useless.

It really defeats the point for many of us.

Cheers

Max

Oct 25, 2011 8:52 AM in response to UK-Max

I am experiencing the same thing as most of us, exactly as explained by - Acid_Raccoon.

UK-Max - This is not just a specific problem involving external screens. The dissappearing wallpaper, and loss of function of mission control (do not show spaces, but you can click in empty area where it should be located and it actually works as normal) occurs also when there is no

external screen input involved - You have to restart computer for it to return to normal. As a matter of fact, I am experiencing it right now for the 10th time in 1 week period, and it´s quite annoying. I would guess more than just a few people are experiencing this, and as postmechanical mentioned about having a brand new computer - this shouldn´t occur, and if so should get a fix immediately.

Over time, I have experiencing other system problems produced from installing OS lion. Sure it deliver a few smart, and smooth features, but since more and more bugs are discovered (and not fixed by apple), I am considering returning to snow leopard. For instance, sometimes when my computer goes into screensaver, it can shift to a picture of pixels (black&white) in 4:3 screen ration. This has never occurred before installing Lion. Another thing which is extremely annoying is that since installing lion, my computer refuses to go to sleep when I close my lid. Nothing happens, and it just stays on. I have to manually select in apple-menu to sleep.

I really hope Apple take these notes people have mentioned in this forum (and others) seriously, and fix them. I really hope Apple show more custumer service-spirits, than Apple´s lack of hardware-quality. (I have owned 4 apple computers(1 powerbook G4, 1 macbook & 2 macbook pro), brand new, and 3 of them have experienced hardware-failure on more than one occasion in less than a year. The one that didnt required service was my powerbook G4 titanium, released in 2001, and kept going for 4 years straight without any problems.) (Actually, the last one experienced 3 times in-a-row mother-card failure). I only go for Apple´s products due to its smart and clean features (and seriously PC is not an alternative if you want to stay mentally healthy), but what I´ve been reading on multiple forums over the web, more than a few, experience occuring hardware problems with their Apple computer.

I guess this is the result of Apple trying to push for higher revenues. If Apple keep go in the same directions as it has been doing in the last 4-5 years it will be its doom, and loose the customers that once caught the Apple-wave due to it´s innovative and personal aspect, but most important - it´s superiour quality it once had! Apple´s products is quite expensive, and thus should be combined with its smart and innovative system, along with lasting quality. But if $ revenue is the only thing that keep Apple going nowdays, and produce smart product that is meant to last for only 2-3 years maximum, it is deeply disturbing and the company will loose track of what stevie was initially producing - clean, smooth system (just works, no migraine), with everlasting quality far seen in PC-world. Apple - please consider !

Oct 25, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Acid_Raccoon

New iMac 27" with OS X 10.7.2, Similar issue when going to full screen in iTunes – gray fabric background takes over. I also have a dual monitor situation going to an HDTV in mirroring mode, although it has happened even when the TV is not on. I have not experienced any open applications becoming unresponsive, or the issue with Mission Control.

As with any OS system, there are always bugs, inconsistencies, and things we wish we had complete control over as users. Combining the best features of all OS platforms into one, and still have the option to incorporate how we want our own system to work is another wish. I am overall happy with OS X Lion, but there are things I wish would function a certain way. One is, it would be nice to not have to keep "zooming in" in Safari, and that there would finally be the implementation of "independent resolution" to avoid tiny fonts in menus and apps.

In God's Harmony

Dec 25, 2011 8:06 PM in response to Acid_Raccoon

I am experiencing the same issue! almost exactly the same. I am not using any external monitor, it happens on my primary display of MacBook (mid 2009) running 10.7.2

Only way to fix it is either to log out and log in again or restart the system. This is a major bug i hope someone from apple notices this issue.

i have recorded a video of this issue you can find it at http://goo.gl/PG8jN

Dec 25, 2011 8:15 PM in response to wollbratt

wollbratt wrote:

I really hope Apple take these notes people have mentioned in this forum (and others) seriously, and fix them. I really hope Apple show more custumer service-spirits, than Apple´s lack of hardware-quality.

I guess this is the result of Apple trying to push for higher revenues. If Apple keep go in the same directions as it has been doing in the last 4-5 years it will be its doom, and loose the customers that once caught the Apple-wave due to it´s innovative and personal aspect, but most important - it´s superiour quality it once had!

Tell Apple

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

You can also let them know that you can predict their future, ans that given their innovation has carried into Mobile computing, they are doomed to failure.

Only a handful of you seeing this issue, so it's not something that is very common at all.

As I said, tell Apple.

Good Luck

Desktop background disappears, Mission Control doesn't work correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.