Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Lion really slower than Snow Leopard?

I have seen a lot of posts about Lion being slow and existing software not working properly.

Before upgrading, can anyone give me some advice on how it will perform with a late 2010 Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz processor with 4 GB RAM ??

I run mainly standard Mac software (iPhoto, Safari etc.), but with Microsoft Office 2011 as my office suite.

Any help / advice welcome.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 12:07 PM

It is not slow than Snow Leopard. Some software will need to be updated. PPC-only software will not work.

8 replies

Aug 24, 2011 12:14 PM in response to slk22

I have Lion, and I can tell the first days its slow. Not to the point of being unusable, but slow.

Nevertheless I noticed this was just the first 2-3 days (I suppose while it was indexing my drive and stuff like that) now it runs pretty much like Snow Leopard.

Does your laptop have a SSD or a normal HDD? That, i've heard, is what makes the biggest difference on performance. Lion with a SSD will even run a bit faster than Snow Leopard.

I found some numbers. Maybe they are useful:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/back-to-the-mac-os-x-107-lion-review/23

Hope it helps!

Aug 25, 2011 11:18 AM in response to kev9794

Thanks for that. My Macbook has a standard HDD, but so long as it doesn't slow things down too much I don't mind. What model/spec of Mac have you got?

The review you posted the link to was interesting. The spec of my Macbook Pro is pretty much the same as the second machine they tried out, so that is pretty positive apart from the boot-up from cold time.

I have had a bit of a further dig round other discussion threads and it sounds like it is people with older machines, less RAM and old software who will be affected. I have got time machine and my system disks are only 7-8 months old so if it really is that bad I can always reset everything.

I may just give it a go!!

Cheers!

Aug 25, 2011 12:44 PM in response to slk22

slk22 wrote:

I have had a bit of a further dig round other discussion threads and it sounds like it is people with older machines, less RAM and old software who will be affected.

Keep in mind that this is a tech support forum. All of the discussions are about people having problems.

My Macbook from 2007 runs like a dream on Lion.

Aug 25, 2011 6:33 PM in response to slk22

I have a late 2006 MacBook Pro with 3 GB of RAM. I first installed Lion on a spare external hard drive. It initially seemed slower than Snow Leopard but I had no serious issues with it. After a few days, I decided to install it on my MBP. Instead of replacing Snow Leopard, just in case I had problems, I partitioned my hard drive and installed Lion on the new partition.

My MBP runs quite a bit faster and cooler in Lion. And the battery is lasting longer. I have had no issues at all with hangs, crashes, WiFI problems, etc. I'm very happy with Lion. I'll keep the Snow Leopard partition because occasionally I'll probably want to use some legacy apps, like my old versions of Office and Quicken.

I have not yet tried using Time Machine with Lion. That will be next.

Aug 26, 2011 7:45 PM in response to slk22

If you have Time Machine just go ahead! Should be fine. Just remember, at least on my Mac the first 2-3 days were a bit slower, I guess because of Spotlight indexing and perhaps other background tasks.

I have an iMac i3 (2010) with 4 GB of ram and a normal 500GB HDD, and right now its running great! Like Snow Leopard really.

Good luck! 🙂

Is Lion really slower than Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.