Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of projects

I just installed a new copy of Lion and iLife on my new SSD, and have my old drive installed as well - I am running iMovie from the SSD, with the projects and events on the HDD (they are too big to move to the SSD). iMovie won't see them though - how do I tell it where they are?

Thanks.

PS - if I launch the copy of iMovie that is on my HDD still then all is well.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 4:16 PM

In iMovie on your SSD go to the Vie Menu and choose Group Events by Disk

User uploaded file

That should allow you to see the other disk and iMovie should list the folders there. NOTE: But the issue I think is right now,

You have Two Boot Disks and that's a problem

Here's why. iMovie allows you to install and run it on your boot disk, but you have 2 of them now. Right? When iMovie let's you save your iMovie Events/Projects to a second HDD, it creates the folders at the Top Level of that hard drive. For instance I keep a bunch of iMovie Events/Projects on my Time Machine backup drive. It created those folders when I first copied or moved those items within iMovie to that other drive, and they are at the Top Level.

Now in your situation with 2 boot disks, you have 2 home folders with 2 Movies folders with 2 iMovie Projects folders, etc. The path to these folders is like this: /Users/HomeFolder/Movies/iMovies..... So when you are running iMovie on one of the boot disks it sees everything fine where it expects to see it on its own Boot Disk. But it will never see those folders EMBEDDED within the other boot disk. So here's my advice.

Try moving your iMovie Folders to the top level of the HDD disk, just drag 'em on up to the root level of the HDD. Restart iMovie, don't forget to Group Events by Disk and see if iMovie starts seeing your iMovie Events/Projects folders on the HDD. It's worth a shot.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2011 4:16 PM in response to Whitecity

In iMovie on your SSD go to the Vie Menu and choose Group Events by Disk

User uploaded file

That should allow you to see the other disk and iMovie should list the folders there. NOTE: But the issue I think is right now,

You have Two Boot Disks and that's a problem

Here's why. iMovie allows you to install and run it on your boot disk, but you have 2 of them now. Right? When iMovie let's you save your iMovie Events/Projects to a second HDD, it creates the folders at the Top Level of that hard drive. For instance I keep a bunch of iMovie Events/Projects on my Time Machine backup drive. It created those folders when I first copied or moved those items within iMovie to that other drive, and they are at the Top Level.

Now in your situation with 2 boot disks, you have 2 home folders with 2 Movies folders with 2 iMovie Projects folders, etc. The path to these folders is like this: /Users/HomeFolder/Movies/iMovies..... So when you are running iMovie on one of the boot disks it sees everything fine where it expects to see it on its own Boot Disk. But it will never see those folders EMBEDDED within the other boot disk. So here's my advice.

Try moving your iMovie Folders to the top level of the HDD disk, just drag 'em on up to the root level of the HDD. Restart iMovie, don't forget to Group Events by Disk and see if iMovie starts seeing your iMovie Events/Projects folders on the HDD. It's worth a shot.

Location of projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.