Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locating and converting WAV tracks within iTunes

I have a few thousand songs in my iTunes library. I recently became aware that some are still in WAV format, but I don't which ones. My nano won't play WAV formatted songs.

I know how to change the format for individual songs within iTunes, but it would take waaaaaaaaaay too long for me to check the format for each individual song by opening an "info" box in iTunes.

My question is three-fold:

1. Is there a way to have iTunes locate (or sort) songs by format within my entire iTunes library?

2. Is there a way to have iTunes then convert (somewhat automatically) ALL the WAV tracks it finds in the music library to a format that is iPod (nano) friendly?

3. To avoid multiple formats of the same song from appearing in my iTunes library, is there a way to tell iTunes to just keep the newest formatted version and "dump" the WAV version?

Thanks!

iPod nano, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 7:50 PM

Try this:

1) Create a New Smart Playlist: Check the box Match the following Rule: Kind - Contains - wav

All your wav files should now be in the Smart Playlist

2 ) ITunes/Preferences/General/Import Settings/Select what file format you want to convert the wav file to.

Now highlight all the wav files in the Smart Playlist/Right Click/Create xxxx Version

Check the Library to make sure the songs were converted

3) Now create a new Playlist (not a Smart Playlist). Drag all the wav files from the Smart Playlist into the new Playlist and highlight them. Press and hold the Option Key then Delete key. That will delete all the songs in the Playlist as well as the Library. Now check the Smart Playlist. If it's empty, you can then delete the Smart Playlist.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2011 7:50 PM in response to Drewster2011

Try this:

1) Create a New Smart Playlist: Check the box Match the following Rule: Kind - Contains - wav

All your wav files should now be in the Smart Playlist

2 ) ITunes/Preferences/General/Import Settings/Select what file format you want to convert the wav file to.

Now highlight all the wav files in the Smart Playlist/Right Click/Create xxxx Version

Check the Library to make sure the songs were converted

3) Now create a new Playlist (not a Smart Playlist). Drag all the wav files from the Smart Playlist into the new Playlist and highlight them. Press and hold the Option Key then Delete key. That will delete all the songs in the Playlist as well as the Library. Now check the Smart Playlist. If it's empty, you can then delete the Smart Playlist.

Aug 24, 2011 8:09 PM in response to Joe Gramm

"3) Now create a new Playlist (not a Smart Playlist). Drag all the wav files from the Smart Playlist into the new Playlist and highlight them. Press and hold the Option Key then Delete key. That will delete all the songs in the Playlist as well as the Library."

FYI:

this step is not needed.

Just select the songs in the smart playlist and Option Delete.

Songs will be deleted from the library.

Locating and converting WAV tracks within iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.