Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem burning QT movie to Blu-Ray

I have exported several sequences from FCP 7.0.3 as Quicktime movies, then burned them to Blu-Ray using Toast 10 with the plug-in. They look horrible...

In any shot where the camera pans, the video "flickers", for lack of a better way to describe it. (It is so annoying it gave my wife a headache.)

Anyway, I am exporting as Quicktime Movie, using Current Settings, and the video was shot in ProHD 1920x1080 in .mov format. The sequence settings

are 1920 x1080, HDTV 1080i (16:9), Square, Upper, 29.97, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

Am I missing something? I expected an outstanding final product, and it is unwatchable. It looks great when played back in the QT player on my desktop, but once burned to Blu-Ray it's horrible. Could it be the Blu-Ray player itself, or are my settings off?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

Ben

MacPro 2.26 Ghz Quad Core, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 10:14 PM

I usually use Toast default settings the make Blu-ray discs with no problems.

This might help you so you don't have to make Blu-ray discs and then find out it's no good. Toast has a video player that will let you play the encoded Blu-ray file on the Mac.

You need to make a disc image in Toast of the video footage instead of burning a disc. You can use this image disc to burn the Blu-ray disc. After you make the image disc, mount it on the desktop.

From Toast...

Menu... Extras... 'Toast Video Player' from the Drop down menu...

User uploaded file

From the Video Player menu... Open...

Navigate to the mounted disc...

(I can't remember the folder that the encode file is in, pick the largest folder size and that will have the file in it.)

Pick the encoded file and it will play in the Video Player.

This will save you on Blu-ray discs if you have a bad encoding.

Also, this will save you on Blu-ray discs. A 4.5GB DVD can hold about 20 to 30 minutes of high-def Blu-ray video, and a dual-layer 8.5GB disc can hold up to 45 minutes. The DVD will play on a Blu-ray player.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2011 10:14 PM in response to Ben Creighton

I usually use Toast default settings the make Blu-ray discs with no problems.

This might help you so you don't have to make Blu-ray discs and then find out it's no good. Toast has a video player that will let you play the encoded Blu-ray file on the Mac.

You need to make a disc image in Toast of the video footage instead of burning a disc. You can use this image disc to burn the Blu-ray disc. After you make the image disc, mount it on the desktop.

From Toast...

User uploaded file

From the Video Player menu... Open...

Navigate to the mounted disc...

(I can't remember the folder that the encode file is in, pick the largest folder size and that will have the file in it.)

Pick the encoded file and it will play in the Video Player.

This will save you on Blu-ray discs if you have a bad encoding.

Also, this will save you on Blu-ray discs. A 4.5GB DVD can hold about 20 to 30 minutes of high-def Blu-ray video, and a dual-layer 8.5GB disc can hold up to 45 minutes. The DVD will play on a Blu-ray player.

Jun 2, 2015 9:09 PM in response to David M Brewer

From Toast...

Is a ".toast" file also a disc image file ?

My goal is to preview the final result from Toast 12 before burning a Blu-ray. However, when steer "Roxio Video Player" to my ".toast" file, it is dimmed out, and cannot be selected.

I'm wondering if, "Roxio Video Player", is looking for some type of file other than the ".toast" file, and what that file type might be, and how I get it.

In Toast 12, if I choose, "Save Disk Image" I get a .toast file.

Jun 3, 2015 1:14 AM in response to Ziatron

Double click your .toast file.

Double click the BDMV file.

In the stream file you will see m2ts streams.The quantity of m2ts streams will depend on how many items you have in your menu.

Double click on the m2ts streams, the MB sizes not the KB sizes, and they will be played in Toast Video Player.

You will not be able to check any Chapter Markers that you have set up in say iMovie or FCP but they will be there when you play your disc on a Blu-ray player if you set up Automatic in Toast.

Burn to a BD-RE first if you want to be sure, then to a BR-R.

Jun 3, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Ziatron

I should have said that I have Toast 10 versus your Toast 12, but I would be surprised if this is causing the difference that we see.

What happens if you control click on the BDMV folder and select Open?

If I control click>Open or double click on the BDMV this is what I get.

User uploaded file

I am using QuickTime 10.0 so your 10.3 may be causing the difference or you have an additional app to me that is overriding Toast Video Player when you double click the BDMV folder, just guessing.

Would be interested to know if Control Click>Open gives you access to the m2ts streams as shown above.

Jun 5, 2015 10:16 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

I ONLY get a "container", (the icon looks like a flash drive). Inside, is a BDMV file, and a "Certificate" folder (with empty folders inside). Nothing else.

I have purchased, Mac Bluray Player, from Macgo.

There seems to be no method of accessing and testing the Chapter Settings. Checking the menu structure and performance is 99% of the testing requirement. One can actually "see" the movie using QuickTime anyway.

As a comparison, if I create a movie image file using iDVD, I can then fully test the DVD image file using apples “DVD Player”. With DVD Player, I can fully and completely simulate the final result without ever burning a disk. Once the disc “checks out”, I will then burn the disc. If mistakes were made, I can go back and correct them without wasting any blank DVDs. This type of capability is much needed in the Apple world with regard to Blu-ray discs.

Problem burning QT movie to Blu-Ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.