Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

raw and jpeg will not show when imported from camera

I am doing a OCA degree in digital photography using aperture 3 . I have been asked to take Raw and J pag , open up in the program I use. And not the differance and the make changes.

I have 1d MK III and 7 d I cannot get both file types to show side by side.. Some one tell me how to do this please. I must have clicked , ticked something , that I cannot find to put right again.

mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 4 gig ram

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:29 AM

Aperture will use one or the other of the files as your Master (you choose which), but even if you choose the RAW as your Master, Aperture will generate a preview of the image which it displays in the library. If you truely want to look at the jpeg and the RAW, you would probably want to set the Master as your RAW file. Then, using export from the File menu, you can export the Master (RAW) and a version (JPEG). Open them in Preview and you can look at them side by side.

Anyone think of a better way to look at the RAW and JPEG next to one another?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2011 9:29 AM in response to diveactive

Aperture will use one or the other of the files as your Master (you choose which), but even if you choose the RAW as your Master, Aperture will generate a preview of the image which it displays in the library. If you truely want to look at the jpeg and the RAW, you would probably want to set the Master as your RAW file. Then, using export from the File menu, you can export the Master (RAW) and a version (JPEG). Open them in Preview and you can look at them side by side.

Anyone think of a better way to look at the RAW and JPEG next to one another?

Aug 25, 2011 3:38 PM in response to shuttersp33d

Actually, I guess if you hit the M key, you should be looking at the RAW. Aperture uses different preview sizes for different views, but when you're looking at the Master of a RAW file (hitting M) or if you're zoomed to 100%, you should be looking at the RAW file.

I would think the best way, to be sure you're looking at the RAW file and a JPEG, would be by exporting. Frank, may have more/better ideas.

Do you need to be looking at the JPEG produced by the camera, or just a JPEG of the image?

Aug 25, 2011 4:34 PM in response to diveactive

As always, start by copying the images on to a folder on the hard drive and then backing up the folder. Never import directly from camera or card into Aperture or any other images app.

Then since this is an exercise not a batch workflow, simply rename the RAW and JPEG versions of one image and separately import each renamed version into Aperture. The two should each be Masters, one from the JPEG original and one from the RAW original.

Note the JPEG may initially "look" better on the (relatively low resolution) display due to in-camera presets like sharpening, etc. not present in the RAW file. However the RAW file contains much more image data, is much more editable and is capable of making superior (relatively very high resolution) hard copy prints.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aug 25, 2011 6:26 PM in response to SierraDragon

SierraDragon wrote:

Then since this is an exercise not a batch workflow, simply rename the RAW and JPEG versions of one image and separately import each renamed version into Aperture. The two should each be Masters, one from the JPEG original and one from the RAW original.

That's exactly what importing with Both (Separate Masters) accomplishes.

Aug 25, 2011 6:43 PM in response to shuttersp33d

If the OP imports using Both (Seperate Masters) then there will be two identical (from a composition standpoint) images side-by-side.

One of the images wil be the JPG that the camera created the other will be the RAW file as interperted by Aperture. The non-JPG image is the RAW image, its not some JPG preview. Hitting the M key only switches between the master and the versions. If you're looking at a RAW image hitting the M key togglles between the (RAW) master and the (RAW) version If you're looking at a JPG image then hitting the M key toggles between the (JPG) master and the (JPG) version.

If there has been no adjustments made to the master then the two images (the master and the version) will be identical.

Again this is really simple for the OP to do, Just import using Both (Seperate Masters)

raw and jpeg will not show when imported from camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.