Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My software update server is clearing its config file

I have installed Lion Server and the Server Admin tool. I have configured Software Update Server and it spent a night downloading all the udpdates, and was working for a while, so far so good.

Then it suddenly stoped working the next day. Any attempt for a client to run software udpate results in a dialogue box declaring "Software Update Server (imac.local) is not responding"

The sevice is enabled and its dot is green in the list.

The following message appears constantly on the console:

25/08/11 9:52:53.282 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.swupdate.host[31312]) Exited with code: 1

25/08/11 9:52:53.282 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.swupdate.host) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Occasionally this group of messages appears:

25/08/11 9:51:46.341 PM com.apple.SecurityServer: Failed to authorize right 'system.install.app-store-software' by client '/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/in stalld' [31265] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app' [31259]

25/08/11 9:51:46.341 PM com.apple.SecurityServer: Failed to authorize right 'system.install.software' by client '/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/in stalld' [31265] for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app' [31259]

25/08/11 9:51:46.421 PM Software Update: SoftwareUpdate Scan: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x7ff7c5c01f80 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7ff7c5827410 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=http://imac.local:8088/index.sucatalog, NSErrorFailingURLKey=http://imac.local:8088/index.sucatalog, SUCatalogFetchOverrideURLString=http://imac.local:8088/index.sucatalog, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}

In the admin tools, the error log for the SUS is reporting:

Syntax error on line 241 of /etc/swupd/swupd.conf:

Port must be specified

However the port 8088 is listed on the config pane etc. But sometimes when I stop and re-start SUS this port is cleared. Just FYI, my other settings are no limit to bandwidth, udpates stored in the default /var/db/swupd/ and all other check boxes off.

Looking at the config file in /etc/swupd/, line 241 reads:

Listen *:portToUse

Any attempt to change this is overwritten next time the service starts. The owner of the config file is root, however the user _softwareupdate owns all other files in the directory save the file swupd.conf.previous, .start_time, and swupd.plist which are all owned by root (-rw-r--r--)

I did attempt to change the owner to _softwareudpate for these files, however this was changed back on the next restart of the service. I have also tried to run permissions repair in disk utility which did change one file in this directory.

I worry that if I trash the server and start again this problem will re-appear and I also don't want to loose the 9Gb of updates I have already downloaded.

Is someone able to help?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 5:33 AM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2011 11:18 AM in response to JamieA70

I'm having the same issue but noticed that the alias for index.sucatalog appears to be broken and if you try to open the file it reports that the file can't be found. If you go to terminal and do an ls -l in the html directory of swupd it reports that the orginal should be at ../content/catalogs/index.sucatalog but the file is not there.

I have also rebuild the Software Update service from scratch by deleting just the database files and I have the exact same issue after the rebuild. I have also found the following error message in the logs reporting the alias issue.

[Tue Sep 13 13:03:26 2011] [error] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /Volumes/Drobo/ServiceData/SoftwareUpdate/html/index.sucatalog.

[Tue Sep 13 13:05:07 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Sep 15, 2011 11:38 AM in response to ryan42

I had renamed the /var/db/swupd and /etc/swupd directories adding .old to the end. I then setup Software Update from scratch letting it recreate all files and downloading all the patches again. I did have the same problem after doing that, but I did get my problem resolved when I found http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3867 support article.

Basicaly I had done what the article says but I didn't reboot after renaming the directories. I'm not sure why rebooting after renameing the swupd.config and swupd.plist resolves the problem but it worked for me.

Nov 1, 2011 12:54 PM in response to brianfromround lake

Thanks Brian - this solved the problem for me (Safari now responds with the contents of the .sucatalog file when queried).

I am still not convinced the client machines are actually pulling the update from teh server themselves or if they're going to the Apple SUS directly - when I look at the network traffic on my SUS server while downloading updates, it doesnt look like it's doing anything.

The following is what I'm using, anyone else have a different suggestion?

http://client-mac.local:8088/index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

My software update server is clearing its config file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.