Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype and webcam?

Have just downloaded skype for my mac and it doesn't seem to recognise the webcam thats built in. Please help?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 10:09 AM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2012 1:22 AM in response to xsalvaz

Its not apples problem or that it wont "recognize" the webcam. The problem arises when you log into skype and the skype application tries to access the webcam. Its not recognizing the webcam because its already in use by another application. Yes, yes, I know you aren't running it in any application.. tell me about it I've had this problem many times. Download a webcam splitter such as Manycam or Iglasses, then you can have Skype set to Iglasses (still using the same stream-just splitting it for multiple broadcasts) or built in camera and whatever the other application is is set to the other.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iglasses/

http://www.manycam.com/

see if that helps its helped me, you just have to pay attention to which app is using which stream because if you switch them and some app you don't know, or didn't intend to use is using the stream, even if you didn't realize you activated it, its very easy. Apps like Photobooth, Imovie, etc. can cause mischief, say you go into Imovie to import your avchd clips from your sony camera so you have to use the app and cant copy and paste, in order to do so you basically have to go to the same screen that you would use if you were going to take a video off your webcam for Imovie, hence, very easy to activate without even knowing it. The problem then is, the app may not even be running (or so you thought) but it really still is Ensure its completely quit, use activity monitor under your utilities menu and choose all process in the top right and then look at the names (patience, takes some time, and a little research for troubleshooting)...sometimes you will still see Photobooth or Imovie on the activity monitor even though its not "open" (no blue indicator on the dock) this usually mean somethings wrong, i.e. frozen/script error blah blah. Try Force quiting the app then restart Skype, If that doesnt work restart computer and dont open any other program. If that doesnt work you will have to try the stream splitter i have talked about, still if your having trouble you will probabaly have to uninstall most/all of your multimedia/soical apps to pinpoint the issue.

Message was edited by: @doorforarrival

Skype and webcam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.